To soak or not to soak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ash176

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Been hearing different variations of whether or not to soak the regs before storage. And whether to press the purge valve while soaking the regs.
Got me confused what is right or wrong thing to do. Can someone please clarify and educate me please? I'm using AquaLung Mikron reg. Thank you.

If you've properly soaked your regs after each dive there is no reason to do if again before storage. Yes you can purge your regs while soaking just be sure they are connected to a tank which has gas in it and the valve is open otherwise there's a possibility that water can get into the first stage and damage one or more parts.

whether or not to soak the regs before storage

Good after end of diving day. No need to do it again at end of season if you have done after the last diving day.

whether to press the purge valve while soaking the regs.

Absolutely not unless regulator is connected to a tank with air and valve is turned on.

As above. I soak second stages overnight after a dive trip. That dissolves the salt crystals that want to form in the nooks and crannies. I flush my piston regs vigorously with a squeeze bottle first, and then soak them, but separately from the second stage, which is left up on the sink counter, so water doesn't track up a hose to the inside of the first.
Then pressurize everything and blow out dry.
My sealed pistons and diaphragm first stages I just rinse off briefly.

My Atomic seconds all have the seat saver feature, which means the valve is OPEN when unpressurized. I don't worry about water getting up the hose, because the first stage is always on the sink counter when the second is soaking. After the soak, I just hang the regs through a towel ring so that the first is high and the seconds are low, and let them drip dry.

In other words, accidentally pushing the purge button is no big deal (and may get some fresh water around the poppet and orifice), as long as the first stage is higher and water can't run up the hose to the inside of the first. When you dry it, make sure to push the purge button a few times to allow any hose water to drain out.

The big deal is retained salt crystals and grit. That is what starts the chrome degrading, or the titanium to scratching the next time you pressurize the first stage. And in the second, the pressures are lower, so retained salt crystals can cause the valve mechanism to catch and stick open.

Relating all this to an Aqualung Mikron, just flush out the spring chamber of the first stage with a squeegee bottle and wipe dry. Rinse the seconds with running water in the mouthpiece and exhaust tee, and then soak. Soak the seconds separately (and lower), and don't worry about accidentally pushing the purge. Then hang them up with the first stage uppermost, pressing the purge button a few times to let any hose water drip out. Let dry. You're done.

Not really much more to add (but will anyways). I was always under the assumption my 'good rinse and it's fine' routine was - just fine. That was until I started servicing my own and was astonished how just un-fine it was. My regs are sealed and unsealed diaphragms, and the wife's one unsealed piston btw. If you have unsealed anything, getting the salt out of the chamber is a must - the squirt bottle is a great way to help flush it out. I try and get a quick fresh water rinse on all of them immediately after use. If that's not possible, at least keep them from drying out and forming salt crystals. Salt will get into the threads and if there's any nicks in the chrome, corrosion can start (good reason for titanium if you can afford it but doesn't mean you can forgo cleaning). I long soak my gear (24 hr+), giving them an occasional shake to move the water in and out of the stages. Final is a blow down on a spare tank. You absolutely don't want any moisture inside the 1st stage or 2nd stage lines. Seat Saver 2nds are great but you need to take precautions. If your 2nd gets bumped during the soak and a bit of water gets in, not as bad as saltwater still no bueno. My regs were bought used so there's some chrome issues but overall, I'm getting 2 yrs on services (200+ dives). I've had to adjust my 2nds a bit to reset cracking point but that's it for the diaphragms. My one piston (MK20) has recently developed an IP issue and is waiting on a rebuild. I don't attribute that to poor after-dive care but haven't pulled it apart. 200 dives on a MK20 might be asking for a bit much but that's why you own an IP gage. You know when things start to go south.

If you purge the reg when it is submerged but not pressurized, how does the water displace the residual air in the hose to get back to the 1st-stage? Asking for a friend ...

If you purge the reg when it is submerged but not pressurized, how does the water displace the residual air in the hose to get back to the 1st-stage? Asking for a friend ...

If the first stage is located in a lower level than the second stage whereby the air would leak out the second stage and water gets in to replace the air in the LP hose and eventually reaching the first stage. .

Because the water can pass by the air in the tube. Sort of like when you pour a full bottle of liquid, it sort of bubbles and gurgles as the air works it's way around the liquid as the bottle empties. Unlikely and the whole "if you press the purge you've destroyed your regulator" thing is completely blown out of proportion but it can happen.

Because the water can pass by the air in the tube. Sort of like when you pour a full bottle of liquid, it sort of bubbles and gurgles as the air works it's way around the liquid as the bottle empties. Unlikely and the whole "if you press the purge you've destroyed your regulator" thing is completely blown out of proportion but it can happen.

You'd have to hold the 2nd-stage vertically above the 1st-stage with the 1st-stage dust cap removed for that to happen. I'm trying to get water down an intermediate hose now but without sucking on the open end, it's proving impossible.
You can experiment by immersing a drinking straw in water while closing off one end with a finger.

You'd have to hold the 2nd-stage vertically above the 1st-stage with the 1st-stage dust cap removed for that to happen. I'm trying to get water down an intermediate hose now but without sucking on the open end, it's proving impossible.
You can experiment by immersing a drinking straw in water while closing off one end with a finger.

I was wondering, when you originally asked this question, if you had seen the Alec Pierce video... and I see you had.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom