To my neighbors to the north/ Gaspe'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billbb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
This summer we are headed to the Gaspe' area.
I am looking for good shore dive sites and also campgrounds.
A campground with shore diving would be perfect

Thanks in advance for any info

Bill

There is a nice "dive park" with fill station and good shore diving facilities in Les Escoumins. I'm not sure about camping, but maybe that gives a place to start looking.

I should confess it's been 5 years (at least) since I've been to les escoumins, having turned into a wimpy warm water diver.

Thank you,
We are looking for any shore dives along the way

hey!
Les Escoumins is very nice, but also on the wrong shore if you are heading to Gaspe, unless you want to take the ferry back to the south shore. for diving info of Gaspe I'd contact "Plongee Capitale" in Quebec City, they organize dive trips there every year. for diving along the way it really depends where you are coming from. I usually dive on the north shore of the St Lawrence, I am not familiar with any shore diving on the south shore. on the south shore depending on your experience level a charter dive for The Empress Of Ireland would be a great addition to a dive trip. If you are coming from Ontario ( 401 ) there is lots of diving along the way.. until you hit Montreal.

we are headed from Ontario
I have dove the Brockville - Rockport area every year since Dan (dive tech)
was operating only out of his garage
Is this the area you are talking about?

Alright, well heading north from there ( after the nice Kingston-Brockville area and the locks) the next popular site would be St Zotique ( just before Montreal) but to be honest vis is not as great and you are looking at some shallow dives with a bit of swimming between the points of interest. It's not horrible but I don't know what type of dives you are looking for. Then if you are sticking to the St-Lawrence and not going inland to quarries and lakes, I have never dove the St-Lawrence between montreal and the Fjor du Saguenay. If you don't mind paying for a ferry I would suggest keeping the the north shore and dive Les Escoumins, they have lots of campgrounds in the area, and the diving is great. they will suggest to dive at slack tide but in my opinion it is not necessary. it is a nice drift dive and the area is well established with stairs and carts. you can walk between entry and exit at both high and low tides. the most life you will see is in the 30-80 ft but I have also done a deeper dive at the entry of the Bay ( to see the shelf will likely put you into deco ) and you will need a light it gets dark at depth. then their is a ferry to bring you back onto the south shore to head towards Gaspe.

sounds like what I am looking for
thank you for the info

Bill

did you find any good looking shores dives in the Gaspe area or you will dive off a charter?

my 2 sons and I were there something like 20 years ago
We did shore dives and dove out of a inflatable
I dont remember the locations

Funny story...
I was standing on the dock with my drysuit on and people started yelling
to me (in french) and pointing out to sea
They had heard that a sailboat had capsized, and I guess they
wanted me to jump in and swim a couple miles to save him

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom