To go to Bonaire or Turks and Caicos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridasungirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to go somewhere diving the first week in Feb. I'm more interested in Bonaire, but haven't seen any very affordable options, especially in the way of airfare.

Does any one have recommendations of one island over the other? Travel centers to deal with? I'm definately interested in a resort with a dive center located either on sight or very near by and availability of shore diving.

Also, has any one any experience with driving in either local?

I'd be flying out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

Thank You!!!!

On the airfare to Bonaire, simple catch the 11:30AM AA flight from Miami to Curacao then use Divi Divi air to Bonaire ($90 r/t every 50 minutes during the day). That should be a cheap way to get there, enter CUR in your destination search. Then look on www.bonaireinfo.com for accomodations.

Spirit is flying out of Ft Lauderdale to Provo for $179 each way, I think.

There really aren't any dive resorts here except for Beaches and Club Med but most shops offer hotel pick-up and will keep your gear for you if you're diving multiple days.

Rachel

The diving is different. Bonaire is reef shore diving. Turks & Caicos is boat wall diving. If you want to dive your brains out go to Bonaire. You can easily do 4-5 dives a day. T&C has awesome wall dives and larger animal life, plus awesome beaches.

We have been to both Bonaire and Turks & Caicos. Turks & Caicos was nice but it's a long way to the dive sites (at least on Provo) and there is not much shore diving.

OTOH, we fell in love with Bonaire and we were already talking about a return visit before we even left the island. There is shore diving all over Bonaire. If you can get there for a reasonable price, go for it.

If you are a die hard diver/snorkeler, go to Bonaire. I agree that T&C has nicer beaches but we spend most of our time in and under the water so the beaches weren't a big draw for us.

Travel centers to deal with?
Try www.aquadreams.com, www.caradonna.com or www.bonairepros.com

Or you could just book yourself through the dive resorts websites:

Buddy Dive
Plaza Resort
Golden Reef Inn
Eden Beach
Sand Dollar Condos
Den Laman Condos

are some good options. Den Laman's the newest, everybody rates Buddy and Eden Beach highly. All except the Plaza are on the north side of the island, Plaza is closer to town and the airport. Golden Reef is fairly new and the most affordable.

I'm definately interested in a resort with a dive center located either on sight or very near by and availability of shore diving.
That would be all of the above with the exception of GRI as they're not on the water. Most have unlimited shore diving for a weekly rate. And most also offer a bundled package deal of accomodations, diving and truck rental.

There's around 60 marked shoredive sites on the west coast of Bonaire. Every resort has a house reef, some are better than others. My pick for best would be Bari Reef out front of Den Laman and Sand Dollar condos. Cliff/La Machaca in front of Capt. Don's Habitat is second but I don't recommend staying there, there's issues with the staff.

Also, has any one any experience with driving in either local?
Bonaire driving is easy, there's not a lot of cars and only a couple of main roads. Most people rent divetrucks, mini-4 door-pickups with divetank racks in the bed. Dutch road signs if that's a problem.

You can read about all things Bonaire in the ABC forum here or at www.bonairetalk.com

hth,

It's more expensive to fly to Bonaire, but there's more good affordable options and cheap diving once you get there. You can get to T&C cheaper and easier, but not too many inexpensive lodging options and pretty much all boat diving from Provo so diving is going to cost you more. You could also consider Grand Turk, though that will be an extra flight. If cost is important you just have to crunch the numbers and see. The diving is very different so the type of diving you want makes a difference here.

Driving is easy either place, though I found less use for a car on Provo (depends where you stay.)

Back
Top Bottom