To dive dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stakanak

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have decided to try diving dry. As I am on a budget I am looking for a good $1000 new suit if in fact one is available. The only one I have seen close is the
Bare Nex-Gen Pro Dry Suit on Leisure Pro. Any opinions on this suit or one close to the same price range? Thanks in advance!

You might try checking for used gear at one of your local dive shops. In my area, there are a couple shops that always have great deals on used dry suits, likely the same out your way.

The gear for sale section of this forum has many used dry suits for sale. I bought a very good condition DUI TLS350 with 400 gram Thinsulate undergarment, rock boots, inflator hose, and DUI gear bags, for less than your $1000 budget.

I have decided to try diving dry. As I am on a budget I am looking for a good $1000 new suit if in fact one is available. The only one I have seen close is the
Bare Nex-Gen Pro Dry Suit on Leisure Pro. Any opinions on this suit or one close to the same price range? Thanks in advance!

Depends upon what you plan to do further, NexGen is quite good bilam suit the problem with is you will need to pay extra to relocate your exhaust valve if you want to dump air from horizontal trim and it's impossible to put any pockets on it as nothing sticks to it. You will need to wear shorts

I know a person who dives it for 3 years and he is happy

I would also look for a used DUI suit - you can sometimes get a good deal

Don't forget the cost of undergarments, boots, fins, maintenance, fitting, etc. If you shop around under a $1000 should be possible for a used suit. But generally dry suit and inexpensive do not go together.

Depends upon what you plan to do further, NexGen is quite good bilam suit the problem with is you will need to pay extra to relocate your exhaust valve if you want to dump air from horizontal trim and it's impossible to put any pockets on it as nothing sticks to it. You will need to wear shorts
@elan: Huh?

I've owned the Bare Nex-Gen drysuit for a number of years and have put several hundred dives on it. It's lightweight, easy to dive, and has held up well over time. A buddy of mine owns a Nex-Gen and a Pinnacle Evo2. He actually prefers the Nex-Gen because it has had fewer issues over the years (fairly reliable zipper, valves, seams), whereas he has had air-trapping issues with the Evo2 and a couple of faulty front-entry zippers (repaired by Pinnacle).

The exhaust valve is located on the left bicep. With the Nex-Gen, I've never had any issues dumping gas through the exhaust valve while staying in horizontal trim. YMMV.

PB-300 is the adhesive to use with this suit. One can use it for latex seals...and pockets, I suppose (although I haven't added pockets to mine).

Maybe I was just fortunate to get a better suit than what elan has described. Perhaps Bare is selling different drysuits under the same model name in the U.S. and Canadian markets. :idk:

I'd recommend raising the budget a little and taking a hard look at the Whites Fusion (regular sport) drysuit. Scubatoys.com sells it for $1290 with free shipping. Ask for the 10% Scubaboard discount to bring the price down to $1161.

If you are more budget-conscious, Leisurepro.com is selling the 2007 version of the Nex-Gen for $649.

Get some REI Polartec long underwear (top and bottoms) to wear as a drysuit undergarment.

Last edited:
Lots of Pinnacle Black Ice suits on the market now on the cheap because of Pinnacle's "issues". I know a couple people with them that say they are the warmest DS they've worn. I'm in a fusion with layers of fleece and they are in thin single layer undergarments. seem pretty bulletproof too.

With the standard placement of the exhaust valve on bare suits you have to do an ugly chicken wing and/or roll on your side. It's definitely doable but uncomfortable. If the valve is placed outside you do not need to do anything it dumps automatically. You might have used to yours and do not pay attention, I did dive with that placement as well until I listened to my friends and relocated it and realized how much it sucked.

PB300 does not hold pockets. Many guys tried it and it did not work, they stay for few dives then fall off

With the standard placement of the exhaust valve on bare suits you have to do an ugly chicken wing and/or roll on your side.

I have not seen that required in my friends who dive with that drysuit...

Greeting Stakanak google Dayo Scuba in Orlando FL they are blowing out there Pinnacle Black Ice dry suits for around $800.
Do not dilly dally if you want to get your size!
They are going fast!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom