To cut face hole or not to cut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

costi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I apologize in advance since this question has most likely been asked before, but I didn't seem to locate it using search.
On March 6, I did a shore dive up here in Maine. Water temp was around 35 degrees. I wore my 7/7 NeoSport wetsuit and hood. As far as my body was concerned I was warm. The problem was that I couldn't get rid of the "Ice Cream Freeze Head Syndrome" so it was quite a short dive.
The next time I went out I had purchased a beanie to put underneath which didn't seem to help.
Yesterday, I went to the local ds and purchased a Mares 6.5 Trilastic Hood which I am hopeful will do the trick.
My question is this: It has quite a small face hole. I have trimmed hoods in the past, but I can see a benefit in leaving the small hole and flapping it over the outside of my mask.
By doing this, I like the fact that no skin is exposed and the mask seems more secure. The problem though is twofold (or more): One, putting it on in the bathroom in front of a mirror with thick gloves works, but doing this as I stand in the water with no mirror to look in as another thing.
The second problem I can see is thatif per chance I get the mask knocked off while underwater, it will be even more of a challenge to try to get it back on under the face hole.
So the question I put out is: Should I cut the face hole to the outside or a bit inside the mask? Or do I leave it and practice fitting the hood around the mask?
Thanks for any advice I get.
Oh, by the way...I do realize that the true answer is to get a drysuit.....just not in the budget yet!
Bob

My current hood overlaps my mask a lot. It IS a bit of a pain to get it situated before the dive, and it is DEFINITELY more of a challenge to replace a mask and get everything sorted and cleared, but I'll live with that for the increased warmth. I only trimmed a little around the mouth, so it wouldn't push on my regulator.

Leave it and practice. It gets a little easier.

...As far as my body was concerned I was warm. The problem was that I couldn't get rid of the "Ice Cream Freeze Head Syndrome" so it was quite a short dive.....

.....Oh, by the way...I do realize that the true answer is to get a drysuit.....just not in the budget yet!
Bob

T answered your question very well, but I did want to make one other observation. In your situation, since you mentioned that your body was warm, a dry suit will not aid significantly to your situation. Whether wearing a wet or dry suit, a proper fitting hood will provide the greatest benefit to your situation. If your Mares hood does not seem to make a difference with your "Ice Cream Freeze Head Syndrome," the one hood you make want to look at is the 12mil Otter Bay hood (Otterbaysuits.com Homepage). There are a number of divers in this area (NorCal 45-55 degree water temps), including myself, that love this hood. More importantly, it is a custom cut hood so it provides good thermal protection and good fit.

T answered your question very well, but I did want to make one other observation. In your situation, since you mentioned that your body was warm, a dry suit will not aid significantly to your situation. Whether wearing a wet or dry suit, a proper fitting hood will provide the greatest benefit to your situation. If your Mares hood does not seem to make a difference with your "Ice Cream Freeze Head Syndrome," the one hood you make want to look at is the 12mil Otter Bay hood (Otterbaysuits.com Homepage). There are a number of divers in this area (NorCal 45-55 degree water temps), including myself, that love this hood. More importantly, it is a custom cut hood so it provides good thermal protection and good fit.
Thanks for the input folks. Practice it is......darn learning curve!

BTW, Masteroflo: I had a feeling the comment that I made about a drysuit being the real answer might come back and bite me. Thanks for the link to the Otterbay suits!
costi

Thanks for the input folks. Practice it is......darn learning curve!

BTW, Masteroflo: I had a feeling the comment that I made about a drysuit being the real answer might come back and bite me. Thanks for the link to the Otterbay suits!
costi

Naw, it didn't bite you. My intent is/was not to flame or make you feel bad for asking question or making the statement. I am a relatively new diver and sometimes separating fact from fiction can be a challenge. My only goal is to ensure you don't "waste" money on something that probably won't resolve you are describing. There are a lot of times recommendations are made or ideas are presented as solutions when they don't have any real correlation to the issue..

costi,

The last thing I put on is my left glove so I have a free hand to adjust my hood around my mask. I've had to take my glove off underwater to correct my hood around my mask. My point is - you're not alone.

I just got a new hood for use with a new drysuit. I trimmed it some. Kind of a compromise.

costi,

The last thing I put on is my left glove so I have a free hand to adjust my hood around my mask. I've had to take my glove off underwater to correct my hood around my mask. My point is - you're not alone.

I just got a new hood for use with a new drysuit. I trimmed it some. Kind of a compromise.

Boat sju,
That's a good point you made about taking the glove off underwater to adjust the mask. Hadn't though of that as an option since my old hood had a hole that fit around the mask not over it. Thanks.
I also leave my left glove off during the summer months until last to adjust my mask. I didn't Need to really, it was just convenient.
This early in the season though I need to practice fitting it with gloves on just to keep the warmth in.
I did cut away a little excess material around the sides and mouth today which I think will help me out a lot. I will still have the overlap, but I didn't need it riding up on the sides of the mask the way it was.
Thanks again,
BC

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to take my glove off if the water was in the lower 40's though.

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to take my glove off if the water was in the lower 40's though.

I agree with you there! Just good to have that as an option if I dislodge my mask and can't get it back on under the hood with the glove on.
The reality is that my buddy is usually close by to lend a hand if need be and if the problem can't be taken care of under water(which I try to make it a point to try to fix a problem underwater rather than surface), the surface is within reach on these shallow shore dives.
The good thing is that Spring is here and the water should be warming up soon. I think it was 37 this a.m. Soon I'll be able to wear my thin gloves and there won't be an issue of not having the dexterity.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom