to buddy check or not

do you do a thorough buddycheck before EVERY dive?

• yes, i do

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • no, i skip that sometimes

Votes: 26 37.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...for the people that "do" check their buddy's gear. I'm wondering: How do you check? Do you actually start touching their gear?

Originally posted by Ana
...for the people that "do" check their buddy's gear. I'm wondering: How do you check? Do you actually start touching their gear?

I make sure my buddy's gear is neat and clean, no dangling hoses or twisted ones. Depending on what we are going to do we agree on our turn around pressure, when i dive with DIR buddies i really dont have to look WHERE their stuff is located because i KNOW where it is since i know he/she dives the same configuration that i do. For me, NOBODY touches ANY of my valves unless i ask them too. I have also learned that one can tell a lot when simply observing someone gear up.
I would insist on my buddies changing things when the gear is a clusterf*ck, but that has only happened maybe twice so far.
Observing when gearing up already is half the check

It depends in the situation: when I dive with well acquainted buddies we usually make a comprehensive check at the first dive, where we check everything from toe to head (or from fin straps to mask). Then in the next dives we usually make a briefer check of tank-regulator-inflator.

When I happened to with an unfamiliar diver (in a Safari, for example) I check everything and also show my buddy where everything is in my gear (air relief valves, weight removal, etc.). In this time I try to "feel" if he is calm (or cool), how is his diving-confidence, etc. Just to know if I can rely on his help if there is a problem.

I also make a second check of my buddy in the water to see that everything is OK with him: no air leakings, his fins buckels are closed (I try to encourage every diver to switch to spring-straps :) ), that he breathing regularily etc.

And of course, I always check that my buddies don't have any dangling equipment so they don't damage the reefs..

The only constant is absent mindedness.
It seems no matter how many times we have done it before, there are times when I still forget to put on a weight belt, zip up my suit, connect the hoses, open my cylinder or take a compass bearing.:blush:

I ALWAYS do a buddy check for the reasons mentioned and for another...

I called over 1000 shows as a stage manager. Every single show I used a paper check list that had boxes to be checked for every pre-show, intermission and post show item, from sweeping the stage to calling the actors to place. All this despite my experience.

Even after years and years and many performances, if a last minute issue came up (Ken! Auntie Mame just barfed in the Christmas tree offstage left!) I would have missed critical items if not for that list.

I often find on the boat or shore that I will say to myself, "I have to remember to..." and I get distracted. By doing a buddy check, it reminds me of MY gear as well.

Also, I call a Buddy check one of those "physical mantras" that helps with concentration and focus. It is a ritual that eliminates distractions and prepares ME for the dive.

So I guess my buddy check is as much about my preparation as checking his (or hers).

My $.02

Ken

I always check air, but for the buddy check in its complete form, I just do it when I dive with people I din't know. But usually I dive with long-known buddies, so I just have a look around and that's it...

I know it's NO GOOD...:(

Back
Top Bottom