TLS SE .vs. TLS350?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
Dry suit cometh to my diving, I think. Got darn cold this weekend offshore in the Panhandle, and I'm about to bite the bullet on this.

Where's the added value in the 350 .vs. the SE? Same material. One is a shoulder entry, the other a front entry - I understand that much. Is it a big deal?

There's a MAJOR difference in price.

Are there other suit(s) that I should be considering?

Diving is currently all open water, most spearfishing. I am likely to get into some technical diving (planned deco, etc) in the future and may get involved in some cavern/cave work - maybe. Not much in the way of heavy wreck penetration but I can see myself doing some in the future, when my training and comfort matches the risks.

I'm diving at a "run rate" of somewhere between 100 and 150 dives/year, so durability is an obvious concern.

Genesis wrote...
Where's the added value in the 350 .vs. the SE? Same material. One is a shoulder entry, the other a front entry - I understand that much. Is it a big deal?
Do you dive solo?

If no, do you trust your buddy's diligence and aversion to practical jokes?

would be a very "practical" joke.... :)

I see the point. No current solo diving and none intended in the future. Is it impossible to get in/out of the back zip solo? I have a back zip on my 3 mil wetsuit with a "pull" and manage to handle that one on my own fine.

I have a front-entry and I've heard that the back-zip is a two-person affair.

Keep in mind that the second person doesn't have the same incentive you do to make sure of your zipper.

If you do go with the -SE, do your tender a favor and lay off the burritos at lunch....

otherwise, you may need a new tender soon.

:)

Genesis once bubbled...

I have the front zip and my buddy has the SE. He has to wait for me to zip him, I can do it myself and continue with kitting up. If he has to visit the latrine, he has to have someone unzip him, and then take his suit down. With a front entry, I don't even have to take the suit off my head or arms to manage a #1 (sans P-valve).

He often laments the lack of internal suspenders in the SE like mine have, and mine have an external elastic crotch strap to help take up the extra telescoping material... his doesn't.

I've seen a person that could unzip their own SE, but it seemed to put allot of strain on the zipper.

Your choice... most of them convenience, I suppose. Although, everytime we dive he seems to have forgotten how much he saved :)

wb

I think that pretty much explains it :)

I dont have a problem zipping my shoulder entry Viking. Yes its much easier to have a buddy do it, but its not a big deal to do it yourself.

however, if i was to get another suit i would get the front entry just to make life a little easier.

Andy

i never had a leak zipping it by myself.

Ok, here's some more in the way of requests - and potential "issues".

(BTW, this is somewhat of a LDS rant. Sorry; its part of the deal here!)

I called around to all the dealers for DUI within a few (couple) hours, plus Extreme Exposure (way further, but they SHOULD be "the guys" on this, right?)

NONE of them have the suits in stock. NONE.

OK, so how do I know the gosh-darned thing is going to fit? I don't! I have a sizing guide and measurements, but what if I don't like the way it fits or feels? Then what? I'm stuck!

I don't know what these people are smoking, but for me to spend upwards of $1300 on a TLS-350 without being able to put one on and verify that it will fit properly before I plunk over the cash is outrageous.

So if I'm stuck with this reality in the marektplace (and it appears that I am!) then what do I do?

I think I look at Leisurepro.

They have a BARE "Nex-Gen" drysuit listed that Rodale's liked. It didn't get one of their coveted "tester's choice" award, but that appears to be a money thing rather than features - it got good reviews for functionality and comfort (the "big deals", anyway, right?)

And its under $500 (w/o undergarments)

If it doesn't fit I can send it back; I'll eat the shipping, but that's it.

Now tell me - is there REALLY almost three times the value in a TLS-350? I don't know. I'd love to find out. I can't find out, because I can't find anywhere within a 2 hour drive that has one in their store that I can put on and see if I like the way it fits, nor can I buy one "off the rack" either (nobody stocks them!)

Now one option seems to be to just get a 7 mil jacket and farmer john, wear those this fall/winter/spring, then wait for DUI's demo at the springs here NEXT November.

But why should I REWARD "retailers" who don't actually have the products they sell in stock and available for inspection?

You're telling me I should buy a $1500 piece of dive gear ON FAITH?! Really? With no right of return and even if the shop measures me, its MY problem if the suit turns out wrong (assuming I go custom)?

You gotta be kidding.

Please, someone tell me that there is a dealer somewhere within a reasonable distance from the Panhandle that has dry suits in stock - from any of the "major brands" - that would like to actually perform that customer service function that supposedly is being provided by the LDS population!

I certainly haven't seen it in this case.

Ok, rant mode off.

Has anyone used the BARE Nex-Gen? Any comments on it? If I can't have pre-sales service, support, and walk out the door with it then by Gosh why not buy the thing from LP?

I got one on Ebay for $525, it was brand new and came with the Trek boots, undergarments, carry bag, zipper wax, talc bag, inflator hose, extreme hood & mittens and carry bag...Yes, I feel it was a great deal...The fit is EXCELLENT!! I made a strap so I can zip the thing myself-works great..I read the Rodale's reviews and selected this suit as the one for me...It really is a fine peice of equipment, at a super affordable price..I would have gone with LP if I hadnt found this deal on Ebay...It's light, but well-made and it fits so nice...You'll need Turtle fins to fit the boots though...:wink:

The suit is a bit light weight and you probably don't want to be doing any major wreck diving in the thing, but I find it real comfortable. I've used the DUI 50/50 and I think the Nex-Gen fits me alot better. For the price it makes a good starter suit and you can always use it as a backup when you decide to upgrade.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom