Titanic's Last Secrets: Brad Matsen with John Chatterton and Richie Kohler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As a history buff and a diver, this book kept my rapt attention from the first page. Matsen’s words made the reading of technical jargon flow like water from a spout. As each detail was revealed, it was put precisely into context. Each rivet of the massive ship had a purpose as does determining each detail of its sinking. Details, recollections and insights never before disclosed. I felt like part of the team as Chatterton and Kohler did what others scoffed at and said “It hit an Iceberg and it sank. Get over it.” Matsen carefully describes how a few dedicated people would never, ever just get over it.

Yes, the Titanic did hit an iceberg and claimed the lives of over 1500 souls, but John and Riche would not get over it. They would instead place a huge wager on little information. They did what we have come to know they would. They would investigate and tell us more. Exposed are the back rooms deals, massive egos and long held secrets. Now, with more precision and context than previously disclosed, Matsen will tell not just how the historic ship sank, but why. How boardroom decisions would effect something people on a doomed ship needed most, time.

Matsen takes us on the dives with Chatterton and Kohler. While we don’t get to clean our gear afterwards, we none the less get the sense that we were with them on the dives that only a few people alive will ever experience much less survive. We feel the same frustration of a carefully planed dive trip gets derailed by, weather, politics and even the police. Matsen also cracks open another water tight door that J.C. and Red are certain to open in the future.

This book will change forever our notion of what happened on that infamous night in 1912.

Last edited:
Of note, the last remaining survivor of the sinking, a woman in her nineties, announced today that she is auctioning off her remaining Titanic artifacts to help pay for her nursing home care because she is now broke.

I guess she didn't happen to have a Coeur de Mer, or whatever they called that huge gem in the movie.

A sad end to a perpetual sad story for those involved.

After reading the book, the movie version just fades into typical Hollywood drama. Here’s a hint, the stern did not rise up to give DiCaprio the dramatic ending they depicted.

Of note, the last remaining survivor of the sinking, a woman in her nineties, announced today that she is auctioning off her remaining Titanic artifacts to help pay for her nursing home care because she is now broke.

I guess she didn't happen to have a Coeur de Mer, or whatever they called that huge gem in the movie.

A sad end to a perpetual sad story for those involved.

I'll say.

Team, what is your opinion of the conclusions that the book draws verses the conventional wisdom and long held story?

I think the evidence that John and Richie actually filmed, the back-up data they found while diving the Titanic’s sister ship Britannia in Greece coupled with the information provided by the Wee Man, (book reference), Matsen makes a compelling argument that to me, makes a clear case for why Titanic went down so fast.

I believe this description of Titanic’s sinking will become the conventional wisdom. They may even have to make a new movie!

I have to say, the information that came from the archivist at Harlan and Wolfe, really is a clincher.

I read this book last month while on a liveaboard during my surface intervals.
I found it really interesting (although, I thought the beginning of it moved really fast).
In any case, I think the Shadow Divers have put together a heckuva an adventure for all of us.
I hope it does well and sparks more publishers to seek out scuba related adventures for print!

Thanks Richie and John!

JcF

I have to say, the information that came from the archivist at Harlan and Wolfe, really is a clincher.

That and the huge chunks of steel they found there were determined to be the ….

(I don't want to give away the "Last Secret"):wink:

Back
Top Bottom