Titan Glacia - Cold Water only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortlock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been thinking about purchasing an Aqualung Titan Glacia reg with the Cousteau 1st stage. From what I've read here it looks like a quality rig.

However, I don't plan to do very much cold water diving (but I wouldn't mind trying it in the future sometime) and the glacia 2nd stage seems to be tailored to cold water performance.

My questions:

Is the glacia 2nd stage suitable for tropical diving too?

Considering I'm going to be doing very little cold water diving in the immediate future, would the glacia be overkill? If so, what other regs could you recommend of a similar quality?

Thanks for your help,

Morty

Mortlock,

I am a novice and don't have much of a clue when it comes to comparing different types of reg however you may find some of the responses to a thread I posted "The Old Age Question: Which one?" useful. One reply specifically mentions the Titan Glacia. Hope you may find this useful.

Thanks Max, that's actually the first thing I read about this reg and it led me to research more about this reg which is why I'm now thinking that this could be the reg for me.

What I couldn't find however were the answers to the questions I posted above. Looking forward to further responses.

Morty

If a reg works in cold water, it will be fine in tropical water as well.

The only change you may want to make is to replace the mouthpiece. The little lip cover thingy designed to reduce water flow across your lips in cold water can be a bit of an irritant even in cold water.

The glacia is a good reg. I tried one (only in the pool) and it breathed pretty nicely. the only difference is that it was paired with the titan first stage. I would agree with DA and say take off the cold water shield during warm water. If anything though the environmental seal will help in the warm water aswell. It will keep the salt water out and the second stage will not perform any differently. The only complaint is that the second stage is a little bigger than newer models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom