Tissue Compartment gas loading and NDL calculator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFX

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dive_TC_Calculator

I created a spreadsheet to calculate tissue compartment gas loadings and NDL's for up to three dive profiles. Each profile can accommodate four depths with descents and ascents. You can select either the Buhlmann ZH-16L or the DSAT (PADI RDP) M-value and HT table. You can select imperial or metric units, fresh or salt water, %O2 in the gas, and base altitude. It also contains instructions and other useful information. If you find errors let me know or you have ideas for changes or enhancements I would like to here from you. Click on the link and download the file Dive_EFX.xls.

Last edited:
Dive_TC_Calculator

The surfacing inspired gas pressure (Pi) was wrong in the previous version of the spreadsheet. It got calculated as less than the Surf Po. Corrected that in this version. Changed the 50 ft time in the first profile from 50 to 40 minutes.

Last edited:
Dive_TC_Calculator

Another revision. The NDL's for altitude dives were wrong. For both tables I used the Mo values for sea level. For Buhlmann the M-values need to be calculated for altitude. This revision corrects that. The DSAT table is strictly for surfacing at sea level and dives above sea level will now show n/a (not applicable). See the comments in the spreadsheet for more info. The newest revision shows a date of 20-MAY-2015.

There may yet be another revision in the future. I'm working on a way to calculate a value that can be used to evaluate when to fly based on the already calculated TC pressures.

Last edited:
Dive_TC_Calculator

The previous version would not calculate NDL's for any dives starting at a base altitude above sea level using the DSAT table. I advised users to get the tables and enter the theoretical depth with base alt set to 0. I thought that was silly..... to have the users scare up the tables. Why not reproduce them in the spreadsheet since spreadsheets are great for displaying tabulated data. So, I created a sheet named ALT which includes both the imperial and metric altitude tables. Better yet, why not use the theoretical depth in the calculations since I have the tables. On the DIVE sheet I added a new column called AD (Adjusted Depth). Selecting the DSAT table and any base altitude above 0 will fetch the theoretical depth from the correct altitude table and plug it into the AD column. The Pi's use the data from AD instead of FD. All other calculations remain the same. The NDL's will now be displayed for all tables and altitudes. See the comments for more information. This new version shows a date of 22-MAY-2015.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2015 at 06:11 PM ----------

Dive_TC_Calculator

Fixed an error. For a FD of 0 and base altitude greater than 0 the AD contained the base altitude instead of 0.

Last edited:
Dive_TC_Calculator

I made two changes to the previous version. I made the headings for user entered values blue and lumped them together. This should help in preventing the accidental deletion of formulas. For fresh water dives the units are now in units of fresh water instead of sea water. I added a heading called "Press Units" to help users keep track of what pressure units are being used when switching between fresh and salt and between imperial and metric. This version has a date of 26-MAY-2015. The file Dive_EFX_rev4.xls can be downloaded by clicking the link above.

Dive_TC_Calculator

This version includes a new sheet called CHECK. If a formula was changed you can check the new results on the DIVE sheet against the original calculations shown on the CHECK sheet. I added documentation on gas exchange, tissue compartments, half-times, and interpreting the results. I added more information to the NDL and ALT sheets to help evaluate the calculations. The revision date is 28-MAY-2015. Click on the link above to download dive_EFX_rev5.xls.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2015 at 05:48 PM ----------

Dive_TC_Calculator

After playing with the spreadsheet I noticed that the NDL's for dives using the DSAT table were increasing with increasing altitude. I fixed a problem in the Pi formula to correct this. The previous version showed an NDL of 43 minutes in the first profile for a descent to 60 feet at sea level. The current version now shows 58 minutes which agrees closely with the PADI RDP slate. After reading through Baker's general discussion paper (yet again) I realized I had glossed over some important information. The rate I was using in the P formulas was simply the value from the rate column. The R in the formula is the rate x the fraction of inert gas (FN2). Fortunately, this change resulted in very minor changes to a few P values (0.2 fsw) and a few NDL's (1 minute).

I changed the first compartment in the Buhlmann table from Baker's paper from 1 to 1a. The 1a compartment has a half-time of 5 minutes vs. 4 for the other. Baker mentioned that the 4 HT compartment was relevant only for divers who bounce to very deep depths - not a typical profile for rec divers.

I deleted the CHECK sheet. At first I thought it was a good idea to provide hard-coded values as a check against values accidentally changed by the user. But, I realized there were two flaws. First, only the first profile was saved which was useless for changes in the second or third profiles. Second, if I included the other profiles it would very tedious to update this sheet if the formulas had to be changed for legitimate reasons. The best way to protect users is to do what I already suggested in red in the documentation - to save a copy before you make any changes.

While reviewing the NDL calculations on the NDL sheet I though it might be cool to provide the controlling compartment number for each dive segment. So, I added a column on the DIVE and NDL sheets called CC (controlling compartment). This is the compartment with the lowest NDL.

This revision is dated 29-MAY-2015 and can be downloaded by clicking the link above. The file name is dive_EFX_rev6.xls. Hopefully, this will be a stable release.

Dive_TC_Calculator

This version adds gradient factor. It has a revision date of 30-MAY-2015. The file dive_EFX_rev7.xls can be downloaded by clicking on the link above.

Dive_TC_Calculator

This release includes partial pressure of Oxygen and some minor changes to the NDL sheet and the documentation. The revision date is 02-JUN-2015. Download the file dive_EFX_rev8.xls by clicking on the link above.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2015 at 05:20 PM ----------

Dive_TC_Calculator

This release fixes a bug and adds a new feature. For altitude dives using the DSAT table the theoretical depth for actual depths less than 10 meters was wrong -- fixed that. The spreadsheet will now fetch the theoretical safety stop depth for DSAT altitude dives. The revision date is 03-JUN-2015. Download dive_EFX_rev9.xls by clicking on the link above.

hi

do you use haldane equation to create the NDL?

when we ascent, descent how to calculate the NDL?
haldane is for CONSTANT DEPTH profile, so it should not be used in theses cases.

hi

do you use haldane equation to create the NDL?

when we ascent, descent how to calculate the NDL?
haldane is for CONSTANT DEPTH profile, so it should not be used in theses cases.

Usualy for tissue gas loadings it is Schreiner equation that is used for ascent and descent and yes, Haldane for fixed depth.

When you calculate NDL you ask yourself: how long can I stay at this depth (fixed depth) without running in deco obligation. You ask yourself this question during descent, ascent or permanence....it is always in same maner. How long can I stay at this depth (depth I am at now) without running in decompression obligation
With math you use Haldane equation and calculate it. It is correct.

Igor P

Sent from my PAP4500DUO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom