Tips on Banda Ache/Indo diving in general?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zebrax0r

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all.

I head off for an Indo dive trip on Wednesday night. I'm going to be diving in these locations:

1. Bunaken
2. Pulau Weh

We have about 4 days in each area, with a few days dry time/fly-safe time in between.

I'm pretty sure thus far that:

1. Going to Banda no longer requires any "permit" for foreigners per se, but I'll need to show them an Indonesian travel/tourist visa. Wanted some confirmation on that, if anyone can offer any advice.

2. Getting around isn't too difficult, but as with everything, you can be expect to be "cheated" in transportation costs

I'd love to hear some experiences of these places, and general local things to do/not to do, if there are any obvious pointers. I'd also love to hear if anyone has any special things that, as a diver, they'd tend to take with them, or anything out of the ordinary, on a dive trip.

Thanks!

z

In bunakan if you charter your own boat from Manado - bargin hard ;-). Night diving there is cool - so is snorkling at sunset. I dove with living colors which was great. you can stay for cheaper next door at Lorenzo II an dive with LC.

Just be smart on the streets - like don't walk them at night alone -- the normal stuff.

Gateway cafe in Manado has pretty decent internet service and can arrange alot. The average salary is $3-$4US a day so value your money - everyone will want a dollar.

Have fun! I'm about 1.5 months behind ya!!

I'm also heading to Pulau Weh this summer - but haven't been yet. Didn't hear anything about needing a permit. Will check back on this thread. "Lonely Planet Thorntree Forum" should have that information.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I've been told Living Colours are a great bunch of people to dive with/stay with...

I think I'll plan a night dive..

Hi all.

I head off for an Indo dive trip on Wednesday night. I'm going to be diving in these locations:

1. Bunaken
2. Pulau Weh

We have about 4 days in each area, with a few days dry time/fly-safe time in between.

I'm pretty sure thus far that:

1. Going to Banda no longer requires any "permit" for foreigners per se, but I'll need to show them an Indonesian travel/tourist visa. Wanted some confirmation on that, if anyone can offer any advice.

2. Getting around isn't too difficult, but as with everything, you can be expect to be "cheated" in transportation costs

I'd love to hear some experiences of these places, and general local things to do/not to do, if there are any obvious pointers. I'd also love to hear if anyone has any special things that, as a diver, they'd tend to take with them, or anything out of the ordinary, on a dive trip.

Thanks!

z

1. For going to Banda Aceh you need to have a normal tourist visa only, as for Bunaken, or Bali, or anywhere else.
You don't mention your route, just in case you plan to fly into B. Aceh from Kuala Lumpur - unless it has changed very recently, you cannot buy a VOA (visa on arrival) in Banda Aceh, you'd have to get it beforehand in KL. (as a side note: VOA (of max. 30 days) is not extendible inside Indonesia, so if you plan to stay longer it might be an idea to get a 60-days tourist visa beforehand at an Indonesian embassy)

2. It's a general idea of Indonesians that the tourists should pay more than locals, not for plane tickets of course, but bus, bemo, ojek, becak, etc... I always try to figure out the normal price by asking at the hotel or warung (local restaurant), bargaining is usual part of the game. It helps a lot if you master a few words (esp. the numbers) in bahasa Indonesia, not only as only very few Indonesians speak English but also it will put you in a much better position as Indonesians appreciate it A LOT if you try to communicate in their language, as wrong as it might be..
And, do never get angry. They'll just ignore you as it is the most un-Indonesian thing ever to get angry in public.

Enjoy your trip, esp. P. Weh - it's one of my favourite places to dive in Indonesia...

Another useful thing for Bunakan - Celebes Hotel is very near where the boats leave for Manado - if you have to overnight in Manado - the nicest rooms on the top floor of the Celebs are very spacious and clean (2 king sized beds/ sofa/ lots of windows/views & a balcony or two) Think the ran about $30? It's a convient place to stay and while not a resort-- the views/size push it much more than a few notches past 3 star ;-). There is a cafe on the roof & its pretty central to things like the internet cafe/ cell phone recharges & groceries. (stock up on anything you'll need & don't expect to find anything on bunakan). Celebs Hotel 0431-870425

I usually go deep budget - but many of the budget rooms around there are pretty scary ;-).

Oh one more fun thing - Lorenzo II a short walk from Living colors - has a very fun local jam session around the campfire almost nightly & the beers are much cheaper than at Living Colors ;-)!

Hi ZebraX,
Can't tell you anything about Palau Weh, trying to investigate that myself, but Bunaken is fantastic place to dive, the coral walls are just amazing. Not so much big stuff the the little critters & the corals make up for it all. I suggest going down to the port at Manado & bargining a boat across to the Island. There is also an irregular public boat the goes across but I don't know the time table. On Bunaken itself there are loads of places to stay, we stayed with Seabreeze resort, cheapish, excellent DM's & If I went back I would dive with them again. If you are on a real budget, on Liang "beach" there's a place called Panorama - a bit of a dump but cheap. Bunaken Divers (Seabreeze Resort) will pick you up in the morning to go diving.

Hope that helps

Manta Man

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom