Tips for Si Tech Dry Glove Quick Clamp System?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrVegas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just tried using the Si Tech Quick Clamp dry glove system. The end result was one wet hand, one dry hand. This is the system where you put the ring inside the latex wrist seal and then a plastic cuff on the outside, with the idea being that the latex between the inside ring and outside cuff creates the seal. (I had repaired the wrist seal on the leaky side with aquaseal, so that may explain some difficulty getting a good seal.)

In the off-season, I might get permanent cuffs put on the suit, but, in the meantime, does anyone have any good tips for getting a more reliable seal? Just try again? Tape (and if so, what kind)? Also, does anyone just do without the little equalization tubes, and what would that feel like 120 feet down?

Going to try to get this working for the last few months of diving locally this season, so just wondering if anyone had any tips before the next test run.

I once forgot to do something to equalize my dry gloves and did a 100ft dive. The pain from the glove squeeze was horrid. I had dark red welts on the back of both hands, just below my wrist.

You’ve got to do something to equalize your gloves. Bit of bungee cord, thumb loop from undies, something. I hate those spaghetti noodle equalization tubes. Once was enough. Pitched them. Use bungee cord.

You’ve got to do something to equalize your gloves. Bit of bungee cord, thumb loop from undies, something. I hate those spaghetti noodle equalization tubes. Once was enough. Pitched them. Use bungee cord.
The main issue with having some sort of equalisation system in place is if your dryglove leaks, you will then also leak into your suit..

The issue if you don't use an equalisation system with your gloves is squeeze - or, if you do manage to get a bit of air into the gloves at depth (quite easy to do,just lift your arms up), you'll then get balloon hands as you ascend, making handling of equipment somewhat problematic. Worst case your glove can pop right off if it's too full (hasn't happened to me yet).

So far I've opted for the latter approach as on most dives at least one hand ends up wet, so it's still something I'm working on.

Also, does anyone just do without the little equalization tubes, and what would that feel like 120 feet down?

I never use anything to equalize my gloves to my suit. I've been to 300'/90m like that, with no particular discomfort.

I think the key is to have dry gloves that are actually snug and fit you well. With only the air inside that is held in there by the glove liner, I don't get uncomfortable squeeze. I can imagine that if there were a lot of excess air in the glove, the squeeze could be painful.

I see LOTS of people with dry gloves that look like the dry glove is WAY too big for their hand. Lots of excess material around the fingers, etc.. I don't know why anyone tolerates that.

I use the Ansell G17K gloves, which are what came with my Kubi rings. I get replacements from Zoro.com for cheap (around $3 per pair, I think?). They are surprisingly durable. I think I've been averaging replacing them about once a year when some spot gets worn enough to develop a pinhole leak.

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about equalizing until you do a dive where your hands get uncomfortable squeeze. When that happens, you can decide if you want to solve the problem (for next time) using something to let the gloves equalize, or if you want to get gloves that hold less air and try again.

I just tried using the Si Tech Quick Clamp dry glove system. The end result was one wet hand, one dry hand. This is the system where you put the ring inside the latex wrist seal and then a plastic cuff on the outside, with the idea being that the latex between the inside ring and outside cuff creates the seal. (I had repaired the wrist seal on the leaky side with aquaseal, so that may explain some difficulty getting a good seal.)

In the off-season, I might get permanent cuffs put on the suit, but, in the meantime, does anyone have any good tips for getting a more reliable seal? Just try again? Tape (and if so, what kind)? Also, does anyone just do without the little equalization tubes, and what would that feel like 120 feet down?

Going to try to get this working for the last few months of diving locally this season, so just wondering if anyone had any tips before the next test run.
Can't help you with your current system but I can give you some things to think about for the future. Dry gloves are a pain to try and figure out, there's just too many of them, and too much crap out there.

I don't claim to be a dry glove connoisseur like @Zef is, but what I've read on SB is si-tech just doesn't seem to make a great dry glove (I've never used them though). There are a few other options that you might like a lot better. I have a pair of Waterproof dry gloves that I really like. In ~ 2 years I've never had a leak that wasn't human error (either fuzz on the ring or punctured glove) and they've never popped off underwater. I'm so confident in my gloves that I cut the liners back so there's no "seal" that goes around my wrist. The air is free to travel back and forth, and overall it's more comfortable (to me).

In no particular order there's Rolock 90's, Waterproof, and Kubi's (these are in order from cheapest to most expensive). You'd be happy with any of these I think. There's pros and cons to any of them. Rolock 90 is the newest and people seem to agree it's nice and easy to load glove and clip them into the suit ( I have no experience). If I was looking for a set Rolock 90 would be it (but just because I'm a cheap sob). @stuartv has the Kubi's and he'll swear by them.... but I think you have to dive them with a pinky in the air as expensive as they are:poke::p:D

Can't help you with your current system but I can give you some things to think about for the future. Dry gloves are a pain to try and figure out, there's just too many of them, and too much crap out there.

I don't claim to be a dry glove connoisseur like @Zef is, but what I've read on SB is si-tech just doesn't seem to make a great dry glove (I've never used them though). There are a few other options that you might like a lot better. I have a pair of Waterproof dry gloves that I really like. In ~ 2 years I've never had a leak that wasn't human error (either fuzz on the ring or punctured glove) and they've never popped off underwater. I'm so confident in my gloves that I cut the liners back so there's no "seal" that goes around my wrist. The air is free to travel back and forth, and overall it's more comfortable (to me).

In no particular order there's Rolock 90's, Waterproof, and Kubi's (these are in order from cheapest to most expensive). You'd be happy with any of these I think. There's pros and cons to any of them. Rolock 90 is the newest and people seem to agree it's nice and easy to load glove and clip them into the suit ( I have no experience). If I was looking for a set Rolock 90 would be it (but just because I'm a cheap sob). @stuartv has the Kubi's and he'll swear by them.... but I think you have to dive them with a pinky in the air as expensive as they are:poke::p:D

I had my Kubi rings before the Ultima rings came out. If the Ultima rings had existed when I got my first dry gloves, I would probably have them, as I am almost as cheap as you are. LOL :wink:

That said, I'm likely to get a Waterproof drysuit soon (to properly represent the shop I teach for - and because Key Man price is very affordable). If I do, I'll be getting Ultima rings and dry gloves. Then I'll really get to learn how they compare to Kubi.

Thanks again for all of the responses. I'll probably get permanent rings of some sort put into the suit over the winter. Not sure the temporary solution worked well enough for the hassle involved. Lots to think about.

There is no way to get a more reliable seal between the quick clamp system and your glued in latex seals if the latter are in poor condition unless it is possible to mount the rings in a way that they are not touching the repaired area.

I have dived many times between 30 and 40 meters (@ 100 and 130 feet) without the equalization tubes without being encumbered by squeeze. Perhaps those who have squeeze issues are using latex gloves, I don't really know, but I use SHOWA 720 gloves and have never had an issue without equalization tubes shy of my hands getting cold on long dives...I use the silicone spaghetti tubes as often as I can just so I can keep warm air flowing into my gloves to keep my hands warm.

I have tried a bunch of different dryglove systems and my current preference is the Rolock 90. They are designed to work with the cuff rings of the si-tech qcs oval system. My 2nd preference is the Ultima DGS. Both systems allow for user/field replaceable wrist seals in either silicone or latex. There are a bunch of dryglove systems that can be used with the qcs oval cuff ring so you are not limited to the ones mentioned.

If you want a quick fix for your current situation, try cutting your repaired seal back past your repair and glue a new latex seal to the remnants of the old seal and then reattach your quick clamp system. Not much different between that and removing/gluing in a new seal though and if you were to go through that kind of trouble as DIY job or are taking it to a shop to have it done, I would recommend just having a cuff system permanently installed..

Good luck.

-Z

What do you mean "repaired the seal"?

The latex (or silicon) seals on the suit side need to be undamaged and basically smooth for the cuff to seal. Although its more common to put the glove side on crooked and get leaks at the oring

I have had a very similar experience with my quick clamp system, left hand wet, right hand dry. Through some troubleshooting I found that the o-ring on the left glove would consistently roll out of its groove in a way very hard to see if you aren't paying close attention. My solution is to insert the glove into the ring as straight as possible, I do this by aligning it and then bracing one half on something solid and using my other hand to brace the other half before seating it. (Not sure if I explained that in a way that makes sense). Also like @Marie13 said, I use the loops from my undergarments under my wrist seals which equalizes the gloves perfectly fine.
My overall solution however is to replace them in a planned lull in my diving this January.

Back
Top Bottom