Tips for diving Keystone Jetty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My third certification dive, way back in 1985, was at Keystone Jetty. I haven't been back there since, but realized I had a good opportunity to dive there every September. Beyond checking current tables and keeping a figurative eye toward the ferry, any tips or tricks or other advice for diving there?

FWIW, I'm fairly experienced (Rescue Diver in 2001, working on Divemaster now, and a marine biologist that's done a lot of shallow muck diving for work with the occasional deep dive thrown in). However, I'll be finding a less-experienced buddy if I pull this off and so advice for either the newbie or me babysitting the newbie is certainly appreciated!

It's all about the current. Slack can be hard to predict.

I wrote a dive site listing for Keystone over on the NW Dive Club forum. Check out the current table advice at the end of the write-up.

... And if you ever want to dive Port Townsend, give me a shout!

glenn

g2:
It's all about the current. Slack can be hard to predict.

I wrote a dive site listing for Keystone over on the NW Dive Club forum. Check out the current table advice at the end of the write-up.

... And if you ever want to dive Port Townsend, give me a shout!

glenn

Thanks, Glenn. I'll check out the forum, and keep you in mind. I had a too-thrilling experience 20 years ago diving in Rosario Strait when I used what I thought would be slack from a tide prediction. I hadn't yet learned that slack current doesn't always happen at the time of low or high tide in the straits......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom