Tips for a first timer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabes

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm headed to Puerto Vallarta on Wednesday and I purchased a housing for my Canon S400 to make my first attempt at underwater photography. Now, I'm no expert on land, so I'm not expecting to do anything great underwater, but I'd like to get some tips on getting at least a few pics of something that might actually look like a fish??? :blinking: This includes maintenance of camera/housing, basic UW photography pointers, how much weight it takes to make sure the camera doesn't try to float to the surface, how to avoid having the camera fog up, etc. Thanks much!

Welcome to the board.

A search of the board will give you hours of reading.
To start you off, get close to your subject- a LOT closer than you might expect. The precieved distance and the actual (camera view) is quite a bit different. It's common for new shooters to not get nearly close enough and you end up with little small fish in a large background.

If you are using an internal flash (no strobe) getting close is even more important, your internal flash is good to maybe 3 ft MAX, anything past that is out of it's range. When using internal flash, I try to keep some type of solid background in the entire photo. If you have open water in the shot, you will tend to get a lot more back scatter.....looks like your shooting in a snow storm.

Get to know all the functions of your camera. Take some time and just shoot anything around the house, changing setting and reshooting until you have a good understanding of all the controls on your camera.

Be very careful when opening and closing your camera. Any small piece of trash on the O-ring will cause a leak. I never open my housing except when in my room, there is less chance of getting a grain of sand or hair on the O-ring in my room.

I would suggest that on at least the first few dives you spend some time working on your buoyancy skills without the camera. Without the camera, approch a subject to shooting range and practice framing the shot with your hands, hold the position for several seconds and then back away without touching anything or hitting the bottom, when you can easily do this, grab the camera.
Adding a camera adds a huge amount of task loading. Average skills are not good enough when you have a camera in your hands. Buoyancy, fin control and positional awareness need to instinctive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom