Tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago, a former partner and I were taking clients out to a steakhouse in another city. There was a lengthy wait for a table, and we didn’t have a reservation. So my partner sidles up to the front of the long line and slips the Maitre d’ $20. The Guy looks at the money, looks at my partner, then gives him back the money and says “ You must be from New York! Get back in line!”

Years ago, a former partner and I were taking clients out to a steakhouse in another city. There was a lengthy wait for a table, and we didn’t have a reservation. So my partner sidles up to the front of the long line and slips the Maitre d’ $20. The Guy looks at the money, looks at my partner, then gives him back the money and says “ You must be from New York! Get back in line!”
I salute this Maitre d’ !

I never tipped my school teacher or Univ prof. I never tipped my rec and tec instructor.
I never like the idea of tipping in the restaurant because it is the DUTY for the waiter/waitress/cook etc etc to serve me. I do have to pay the bill at the end. And I do not care how little they earn because it is none of my business. If they are NOT happy with the wages there is one option available.
You can argue about tipping the crew and DM on day boat as well. There is NO right or wrong there. I have seen divers not tipping while others tipped generously.
B100.00 each to the crew and the dm per day if they are doing a good job.

I don't think "tipping" is common in Korea. Not even the waiter/waitress expect to be tipped if my memory is correct.

There is no such thing as under-tipped.
Interesting point on the restaurant servers. Where I live, there is a new minimum wage bringing restaurant service staff up to the level of all other minimum wage earners in any industry or business. I don't think servers work any harder than janitorial staff, housekeepers, counter workers, oil change guys etc. It becomes harder to justify tips for basic service (doing their job). The credit card machines sometimes even have 18% defaulted. I think people have become conditioned to tip in North America and if you don't you feel like a heel. We need to get back to tipping is for special or exemplary service and not expected.

I've now been out on a couple of different day trip dive boats from Phuket. Just FYI, looks like 100 Baht is a pretty common amount among customers. They put out a tip box for the boat crew (those that transport and set up gear, cook the 2-3 meals included in your day trip price, boat captain, etc.) not for the instructors/DMs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom