Tipping on Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m never sure exactly how much to tip on a Liveaboard. Also given that many boats are on sale , I assume we should tip on the full price?

I’m never sure exactly how much to tip on a Liveaboard. Also given that many boats are on sale , I assume we should tip on the full price?

A tip equaling the full price the crew would like. :)

I assume you now I meant a tip which is a percentage of the full price

I don't think you'll find a universal answer; speaking of the Caribbean region, I'd say around 10% of the base trip price is reasonable and decent. I personally consider that base trip price, before nitrox charge, port fees/taxes, fuel surcharge (if any), etc...

Richard.

I don't think you'll find a universal answer; speaking of the Caribbean region, I'd say around 10% of the base trip price is reasonable and decent. I personally consider that base trip price, before nitrox charge, port fees/taxes, fuel surcharge (if any), etc...
Richard.
I agree, 10% of the base trip price is certainly reasonable and decent.

Another thing to consider- if you can.
A lot of the crew members missed out on a good portion of their income last year and if the service warrants it and it will not hurt you financially- consider giving considerable more- 20-25%.
These are not normal times and my observation on the two LOBs I went on was that the boats were not near a full roster of passengers so giving the customary tip will still mean a decrease in income for them.

10% is generally recommended. I go higher for cheap liveaboards (I did 20% in red sea) if the service is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom