Tip Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orphie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Quick question. Going on a Liveaboard on the Diva Andaman next month for 7 days; how much should I tip my dive master and crew?

They'll probably tell you 10% of the charter price. That has always seemed excessive to me. I'm more comfortable with 5% plus extra if there are extra actions/people to acknowledge.

$5-10/tank up to whatever you feel the service was worth.

1. 7 days on liveaboard can easily mean 5 days of diving with minimum of 4 dives per day.
2. You won't be the only one on board as there will be other divers.
3. Thailand Average Monthly Wages | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast
US$1.00 = Thai Baht 32.00
B15,000.00 = US$470.00 = US$16.00 per day.

4. If I were you, B1,000.00 each to the crew and the DM if I am happy with the service.

Stevenl : You beat me to that.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am so excited about my upcoming trip.

1. 7 days on liveaboard can easily mean 5 days of diving with minimum of 4 dives per day.
2. You won't be the only one on board as there will be other divers.
3. Thailand Average Monthly Wages | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast
US$1.00 = Thai Baht 32.00
B15,000.00 = US$470.00 = US$16.00 per day.

4. If I were you, B1,000.00 each to the crew and the DM if I am happy with the service.

Stevenl : You beat me to that.

1000 baht per person seems like it would be higher than 10% for most of the thailand boats

Quick question. Going on a Liveaboard on the Diva Andaman next month for 7 days; how much should I tip my dive master and crew?

I usually do the 10%. i don't believe crew work any less hard than DMs, so if they collect the portion for DM and crew separately, then I tip based on numbers. Adjust lower as needed if the service was bad.

I usually do the 10%. i don't believe crew work any less hard than DMs, so if they collect the portion for DM and crew separately, then I tip based on numbers. Adjust lower as needed if the service was bad.
10% is really high here.

Also, they never come to collect tips for the DM, you arrange that yourself. The tipbox is for crew (captain, cook, engineer, boat boys and hostess).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom