Tim's first dive with the Titan Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
this is the (long) report of Tim 's first encounter with the Titan CCR that he won thanks to the contest sponsored by Titan Dive Gear.

Enjoy,

Alberto (aka eDiver)

****************** ------------- ******************​
I’m Tim Dunn, the lucky guy that won the eDiving.us contest for a Titan CCR and training with Jeff Bozanic. Since I know there are divers out there interested in CCR, I thought I offer my experience with everyone on eDiving.
Prior to this training, my dive experience consisted of an Advanced Open Water cert., Nitrox cert. and about 80 dives in the last three years. Recently I’ve been doing wreck dives in Lake Erie and I’ve gone to the local quarry, White Star, with some friends a few times. When I won the contest I contacted Jeff and got a copy of his book, ‘Understanding Rebreathers’. I read and reread the book many times prior to meeting Jeff so I could be as prepared as I could when the class started.

Monday - July 13, 2010
I left Cleveland at 3PM and arrived at Orange County (e. n. - the one is Southern California) airport at about 7PM. The good news was that the small SUV I reserved was unavailable so I got a no charge upgrade to a Suburban which turned out to be a great thing later in the week when we needed it to haul gear for several dives. The bad news was that I didn’t have much to put in because my gear never made my flight. Found the Hotel and went to sleep.

Tuesday - July 14, 2010
My gear showed up overnight in the lobby so that was good. I got to Jeff’s at 8:00am. I knew I was in the right place when I saw the bronze propeller in the garden. I met Jeff and chatted for a few minutes before the other person taking the class, Edward Tu, got there. Later I found out Edward had a two hour drive each way – dedicated guy!. Ed had done some tech classes with Jeff previously so they were already friends. Class was held in Jeff’s kitchen which seemed to always have plenty of activity with kids, dive people and relatives passing through. Class was started with a discussion of SAC rate and pretty soon we had the calculators out and between calculating MOD’s, PPO2, EAD’s, ATA and more, we didn’t stop using them the whole trip. Jeff didn’t seem to need a calculator and routinely did all the algebra in his head. I don’t think he made an error while I was there. Jeff constantly asked us questions to make us think about all of the principles involved which was very helpful. There is no sitting like a bump on a log in Jeff’s class. At the end of the day I went back to the hotel, ran a few miles and started reviewing the subjects for the next day.

Wednesday - July 15, 2010
Wednesday was a repeat of Tuesday with discussion of various CC designs and theory of operation plus plenty of dive planning equations to go over.

Thursday - July 16 2010
On Thursday I finally saw the Titan (e. n. - CCR) I had never seen a Titan in person before but I was impressed right away with the overall appearance, fit and finish. I manufacture industrial pressure controls for a living so I have seen a great deal of various types of equipment over the years (www.solonmfg.com). There did not appear to be any shortcuts on this unit. Everything seemed to be well integrated such as the way the separate counterlungs were encased in the frame. The whole unit was compact and lightweight.
Bill Strong of Hollywood Divers joined us at this time. Bill already dives a KISS and wanted to get checked out on the Titan. Jeff instructed us on basic assembly and disassembly of the units going over the DSV and hoses, O2 sensors, scrubber and counter lungs as well as the gas addition manifold, the off board gas addition valve, the Shearwater Predator (e. n. coming soon to eDiving) controller and heads up display. We used checklists for assembly, immediate pre-dive, post dive and disassembly / service. This took up the whole day. The Titan simulator at eDiving.us had prepped me for the basic screens necessary to operate the rebreather but I needed to learn a lot before I was able to interpret the information and make proper decisions based on the Shearwater controller information. I didn’t completely understand why it is necessary to change PPO2 set points when descending and ascending until I read Jeff’s book and went through the classroom work. Now that I have a much more complete understanding of the controller I have gone back to the simulator at eDiving.us and found it to be very useful. Without a doubt I will continue to use the simulator between actual dives.
titan_ccr_560.jpg

Friday - July 17, 2010
On Friday Edward took me to Shaw’s Cove with his friend Deborah. I didn’t have my OC gear but Jeff had enough stuff lying around to outfit a dive shop so getting me set up was easy. We dove twice and had a great time. The reef is fairly shallow so the dives were well over an hour. Edward gave us a great tour of Shaw’s and I’m glad I got a chance to go.
After leaving Shaw’s, I went to the Titan factory and met Dr. Randy Klein-Gross and Web Jessup, their Engineer. Web spent four hours with me completely disassembling the unit far beyond the amount required for normal day to day service. A complete set of tools came with the unit and included are several special tools specific to the Titan. Seeing the unit completely torn down just confirmed what I had seen initially, a very well engineered, well executed unit.
titan_ccr_disassembled.jpg

Saturday - July 18, 2010
Saturday was a day off. I did laundry and more homework. Jeff is always challenging us to think so I tried to stay on top of the material as best I could.

Sunday - July 19, 2010
Sunday was pool work. We prepped the rebreathers using very carefully prepared checklists with detailed explanations of each step. We started the first hour by just swimming around getting the feel of a rebreather without any drills. Different positions in the water make a distinct difference in breathing effort due to the hydrostatic difference in depth between your lungs and the counter lungs in the unit. The rest of the day we did drills in the pool on removal and replacement of the mouthpiece, switching to our bailout gas and back to CCR, mask removal and replacement, hose retrieval all with and without our eyes closed. After that Jeff would propose different scenarios such as ‘You are at 100’and you start to hear gurgling that was not noticeable a few minutes ago’. He would then send us underwater so we could think about what was going on and what our response should be. When we had the proper response we would discuss why it was right. When we had the wrong response we would discuss the principles involved at great length. At the end of the day we did the post dive procedure checklist and prepped the units for Monday’s diving off of Catalina Island.

Monday - July 20, 2010
Now it is now clear that not getting my SUV rental and getting bumped into the Suburban was a great piece of luck. We loaded up the Suburban with 3 CCR’s and gear for an overnight for me, Jeff and Edward. We loaded up on the ‘Second Stage’, a 50’ dive charter out of San Pedro. Loading all the gear was easy compared to OC, 13 cu/ft cylinders for the CCR’s and 40cu/ft for the bailout compared to 80’s or 100’s normally required for the dives we would do. Gerry Montejo, the captain is a CCR diver and does plenty of recreational charters as well as a lot of tech charters. Breakfast was waiting for us as we got on the boat (Gerry fed us constantly).
During the ride out to the island we reviewed procedures and dive planning. As soon as we anchored we geared up for the first OW dive. The plan for dive #one was simple: fly unit manually, don’t get lost, breathe. Just familiarize yourself with breathing, adding dil or O2, watching buoyancy and swimming around. Jeff constantly kept an eye out for us and showed us cool stuff like abalone when he wasn’t asking us our PO2’s. That was plenty for the first dive. We surfaced, debriefed and went right back in the water. On the second dive we did basic drills, duplicating our pool work in the ocean. The 3rd dive went a bit deeper to about 60’. By the end of the day I had over 3 hours of CCR time in the ocean. A good day. Out of the water we went through the post dive procedure and prepped the units for the next day. That night we worked on more dive calculations and dive planning until we fell into the bunks pretty tired.
Jeff%20Bozanic%20and%20Tim%20Dunn_560.jpg

Tuesday - July 12, 2010
Gerry cooked us breakfast as we prepped for the day. First dive was to 100’. I opted for a wet suit instead of my drysuit to minimize buoyancy issues but the tradeoff was 58F. Combined with the long dive time I was cold but not enough to end the dive. As always there was always time to see critters along with things like lift bag drills. On the third dive of the day we found an almost new small anchor and chain (zodiac size?) that Jeff put on a lift bag and brought back to become another artifact or piece of equipment at his house.
Dive 2, As soon as we dropped in to the reef at about 45’ we saw several very large black sea bass that did not seem the least bit alarmed by us. Sadly, one had been speared in the side. Sea Bass are protected so this was an illegal attempt at poaching. Jeff was almost able to cut the spear off but the bass was not cooperating. We all felt bad for his predicament but there was noting we could do. We went back to Huntington Beach that evening but we were back on the boat Wednesday morning.

Wednesday - July 13, 2010
Wednesday was the only day we would run the units as an ‘E’, electronic. Previously we had only operated the units manually and made a large number of ascents and descents on almost every dive to get used to adjusting PO2. Now that the units operated automatically, I was really impressed as to how close to the set point the unit was able to maintain, distinctly better than I was able to manually. By the end of the day we had over 9 hours total of open water logged. We reviewed our final exams and then all of the sudden it was time to go. Jeff stayed at Catalina Island so that he could instruct some of the recompression chamber operators and we went back to LA.

August 29, 2010
Since I got home I have purchased some equipment and supplies so I can get back in the water. I dove at WhiteStar on Saturday for the first time since the training and I used my dry suit for both dives. Buoyancy was not difficult to maintain even with the extra buoyancy source. All of the training in California taught me the fundamentals well and I felt good to get back in the water again. Hopefully I will get out again soon.
Jeff has an updated version of his book coming out soon and I know I will be buying a copy. If anyone is interested in going down the CCR path I am sure it will be a worthwhile addition to your dive library.

Tim Dunn

Great report. I also trained with Jeff and would definitely recommend him. Enjoy the Titan!

I will pass along your message to Tim

Back
Top Bottom