Timing excercise with diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've got things set up so I can do cardio at home now.

I've found some old stuff saying to avoid strenuous exercise prior to or after diving but they are several years old. What is the time frame and what is considered strenuous?

So is it ok to do a 30 min cardio workout the night prior to diving? How long after the dive should one wait for cardio?

I've got things set up so I can do cardio at home now.

I've found some old stuff saying to avoid strenuous exercise prior to or after diving but they are several years old. What is the time frame and what is considered strenuous?

So is it ok to do a 30 min cardio workout the night prior to diving? How long after the dive should one wait for cardio?

Avoiding strenuous exercise for 24 hours after a dive is still standard, from what I can find. When I did a chamber dive (educational program at the local chamber) to 130ft three years ago, the head of the chamber told us to wait for 24 hours before exercising.

I keep it simple by no workouts the day before or the day after diving.

From what I've read, exercise prior to diving isn't an issue, but after may be. Fact is, if you're an active diver, and interested in fitness, you're eventually either going to have to exercise and dive on the same day (at least same 24 hour period), or give up one for the other.

Cameron Martz's Fitness for Divers covers the topic pretty well. Summarizing the section on pre-dive exercise, it's generally accepted to have no increased risk of DCS, and several studies ranging from 1994-2004 all suggest pre-dive exercise (nominally ~20 hours prior to diving) actually reduces DCS risk and bubble formation.

Exercising after diving has been shown to reduce DCS risk in several studies, but under very controlled conditions that target proper tissue tensions to speed decompression without increasing risk. Basically; not realistic for Joe Anybody, without some serious knowledge of your individual physiology. Their summary on post-dive exercise is "safe after 6 half-times for the decompression-limiting compartment." They suggest this is typically the 60-minute compartment, so exercise should be safe six hours or more after surfacing.

Dehydration from exercising prior to a dive is probably just as likely to increase your DCS risk as the exercise itself.

i do not do deco dives but funny enough i was just watching a couple of video presentations about it and they touched on this topic. so based on that, i would agree with above. moderate exercise the day before can be a benefit. exercise after is to be avoided.

Back
Top Bottom