Time for a specially designed undergarment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a rather chilly night dive last night. However, any time i do get cold its always in my chest and upper arms area - the rest of me typically isn't too bad. I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a thermal undergarment that doubled or tripled the loft of the typical drysuit undergarment in just those areas since they're the ones that typically get the most squeeze in a horizontal position. Maybe even the legs too but i rarely have heat issues there. Any part of the opper side of me is usually quite comfortable after eliminating squeeze. Any thoughts or solutions on this one? I think it would reduce the amount of bulk where not needed and add it to where it is needed.

steve

The problem you talk about it easily remedied by layering.

Example: if I am spending a weekend diving in FL it could be one day in some Springs (temp 68F) and one day in the Gulf (temp 78F).

When in the Springs I would wear my bicycle leggings, my long sleeved ski shirt (thin poly material that wicks away moisture yet keeps you warm) with a sweatshirt on top.

In the Gulf I would omit the sweatshirt.

WFM! :)

~SubMariner~

Bob3 once bubbled...
Hey, just add a layer. I'll sometimes toss on a vest of some sort. You can probably find a cheap Polartec vest at your local Goodwill.

};-)

I'd avoid knit cuffs, waistbands, and the like, they often absorb water. Most current makers use Lycra or other stretchy binding these days, not only does it make sense for the buyer, its usually cheaper to produce as well...

An inexpensive source of decent quality fleece is
www.campmor.com

Have been using their fleece for a while camping, and just staying warm.

Sure layering works, but that adds it all around. I was just thinking how nice it would be to add the extra layers where its needed most

But that is exactly what we were talking about:: only adding layers where they are needed.

A single thick garment is not any less bulky than what we have already described. In fact, most of the time it is MORE bulky because it is thick all over, not just in the areas where it is needed.

~SubMariner~

I took a polar fleec top designed for kayaker [so it had no collar]

I then cut the sleeves of and made a short sleeved shirt out of it

this has worked very well for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom