Time for a new wing. Looking for suggestions and/or opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

industrious95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My old OMS Larry Green wing is looking pretty threadbare, plus I haven't been able to find a corrugated elbow inflator hose with the old style of threads that OMS used to use. So I think it's time to treat myself to a new set of wings. I don't need a new harness, backplate, etc, just the wings themselves.

I dive with single Steel 120's, a pony bottle and probably 4 or 5 lbs of assorted crap between reels, flashlights, game bag, etc. I dive a shell dry suit and I use the drysuit for buoyancy control. (spare me the lectures on that please).

What are you guys (and ladies) using for single tank wings these days? There's lots out there, and I'm leaning towards the OMS, 32lb mono-wing, figuring I got 25 years out of my current OMS wing. Anyone have any suggestions, recommendations or opinions to share? Thanks...

I'd probably go with a 40lb wing. I went with a 40lb Halcyon and a steel plate, using an hp 100. I still need another 16 lbs of lead in a drysuit, and I like the extra lift on the surface. The actual size difference between a 30lb and 40lb wing isn't really significant, although I use a 30lb DGX wing on a carbon plate for warm water, 3mm diving. It isn't enough lift to float the steel plate, filled steel cylinder, and lead carried. I don't wear a weight belt. All lead is carried in ACB pockets, and trim pockets on the top cam band.

OMS is not what it used to be, I'd look at something different. Weren't the Larry Green wings like 60lb lift? 32lbs doesn't seem like it would be enough for that gear load. I'm a big fan of oxycheq, but the Dive Rite Rec series might be closer to what you are looking for.

I have the 45lb version. My biggest complaint about it is that it's so bulky. That's what I like about the OMS Mono wing.

Have you used the Dive Rite REC? I'll also check out the oxycheq. Thanks.

Take a look at the Sub Gravity Paragon wings. They have 26, 30, 37 and 44 lb single tank wings. Their wings do not require a STA. Backmount Gear Archives - SubGravity
Can it handle a steel 120 with the STA? I have my pony mount attached to the upper strap on my current setup, do you know if there's room for that on the Paragon wings?

Can it handle a steel 120 with the STA? I have my pony mount attached to the upper strap on my current setup, do you know if there's room for that on the Paragon wings?
I use the 37 lb wing with my 108 low pressure steel tanks. Sub Gravity is very good at answering email questions, shoot them an email and see what they think.

Back
Top Bottom