Tight Swivel Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlahT

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I recently brought my B2 to LDS for service and when it came back, the swivel joint became very tight. Before the service, if I were to hold the hose end only, weight of the regulator would have been enough to activate the swivel. After the service, if I just hold the hose, the regulator will not swivel at all and I need to push it around by hand to get it to move. LDS said they did not touch the swivel at all, so they are not sure what's the problem. The strange thing is I sent my wife's B2 in at the same time and it came back normal. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to restore the swivel function?

Thanks,
Chris

The current second stage service kits come with swivel hose replacement parts. So I am surprised they did not service it as well. That said I would take the hose off the second stage and see it moves freely. If so reinstalled but not too tight. If it stills does not swivel then look for something in the swivel itself. All else fails take it in and have them take it apart and service it.

The current second stage service kits come with swivel hose replacement parts. So I am surprised they did not service it as well. That said I would take the hose off the second stage and see it moves freely. If so reinstalled but not too tight. If it stills does not swivel then look for something in the swivel itself. All else fails take it in and have them take it apart and service it.

Thanks, Scared Silly. The joint swivels freely when I took off the second stage, so it seems that they tightened it too much at the shop. How tight does that connection need to be? Finger tight, then a little bit more (1/8 to 1/4 turn) with a wrench? I didn't see any o-ring on the threaded portion of the second stage and there is one o-ring/gasket sitting on top of the swivel mechanism in the hose, so I assume that the second stage need to make contact with that o-ring to keep air from escaping?

Sounds like it was a bit too tight, I just make it snug. Hardly any torquing is needed. About the same as the hose connection on the first stage.

The o-ring you are seeing should make contact between the hose and second stage body. See the image below and the lower fitting (the top fitting is the universal swivel hose). The o-ring would fit just inside the opening.

That said the o-ring typically does not come off the inlet tube when one takes the hose off. Several times I have seen someone replace the swivel hose with the std hose and not take the o-ring off and then put the jam nut one and up against the o-ring.

img_0561-jpg.407750

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom