Tickets Bought to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

north6633

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So now to sort out the diving, My wife and I arrive in BKK on the 18th of November and Have to be in Vietnam for a motorcycle tour on the 30 of November. We would like to get a 4d/4n liveaboard in while we are in Thailand.

Been reading posts on here and we are planning to head to Phuket as soon as we arrive in BKK. We have contacted Khao Lak Scuba Adventures about booking a trip with them since they have a trip leaving on the night of the 19th and have what seems like a very good (21800 baht each) a early bird special. This would be our first liveaboard and are not totally sure what to expect.

A little background info on us, we are both new divers, each with 22 dives, our last trip was to Roatan in March where we dove 18 of the 22. So we would like to dive with a good safe boat( guess everyone does
icosm14.gif
), don't need huge frills we are pretty low key key people, just want a clean quite place to sleep and have fun.

I have read as much as I could in the forum, seems like the similans are not to much for our experience level, I should add we both have out PADI Deep and are considering doing the AOW on this trip. Its and additional $200 which seems like a good deal.

Any one have any recommendations or suggestions? This trip is part of a month long trip to Thailand and Vietnam. So be good to have a good start to it in the warm waters on the Andaman Sea.

Also, as a side note, and suggestions for land based fun between Phuket and BKK, I think we will fly down to Phuket, but make our way back north via land, checking things out as we go. Not really into tuoristy stuff , liek to hike and enjoy local culture. To give you an idea of what we like we are spending 11 days riding motorcycles around rural north Vietnam.

Thanks in advance

Same as above, good basic backpacker boat

If you like Nature why not go to Khao Sok, a few hours north of Khao Lak, great terrestrial park, chill out there for a few days.

You're going to have so much fun on your trip, north6633!
First, your choice of boat is fine. It's basic, but my customers have been generally happy with it.
Second, I think your idea of doing the AOW on board is smart. Definitely do that.

I've got a couple of other observations for you--
Have you ever traveled to this part of the world? I go back and forth between Thailand and North America a couple of times a year, and I can tell you that the trip is brutal. I'm guessing you'll be flying from Seattle to Narita or Seoul? Just that flight is about 10 hours. Then another six hours or so to Bangkok, plus a couple of hours for a layover between those segments, and another layover in Bangkok for a couple more hours before continuing on to Phuket, and finally a one-hour flight to the island. That makes 21 hours right there, and when you allow for the several hours you need to drive to the airport in the US, check in for your flight, and on arrival here collect your baggage and make your way to your hotel, check in, etc., the entire trip generally takes anywhere from 24-30 hours. You'll be exhausted when you get here, even if you take an Ambien and get some sleep on the plane, and jet lag is an extra "bonus". So consider giving yourself an extra day to get past travel fatigue before jumping on a boat for an aggressive four days of multiple dives.

Consider using nitrox during your liveaboard trip. If you're not nitrox certified, you can do that on the boat, or just do an online e-learning class before you come.

Besides the boat question in your post, any other advice you'd like? ScubaCat's advice for Khao Sok is spot on, so nothing to add to that!

Some good advice already... I've been on one of the KSA boats (Manta Queen III) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good food, spacious and great crew... Enjoy...

Thanks for all the useful advice! Quero, we PM'd you with some specific questions. The park definitely sounds interesting - we are really looking forward to this trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom