Thursday's Maui Dive Pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a pair of them approximately six feet apart on a spot called Jody's Reef at 60 feet. They are fairly common and I have seen them on previous dives. This one looked to be about two inches long.
:shades:

What's the predominate nudibranch in Maui? The scrambled egg is our most common in Kona. A guy I know who worked on Oahu said the Blue dragon in the most common in lots of spots there, I've seen all of 2 or so here in 5 years.

I just started trying to take pics of nudibranchs lately. I ran into this guy and thought it looked a bit strange for a scrambled egg. I ran across it on a nudibranch website, apparently Hoover is coming out with a nudibranch book soon and has a lot of new photos, one of them looks like this which he says is newly described (they've been around, just mistaken for the vericose) in Hawaii. I've got to look up the genus again, it's not the same as the scrambled egg, I'll need to edit my file name for my picture if I want to be accurate.

later

Steve

Aloha Steve,
The ones I see the most are the Scrambled Egg ones (Vericose Phyllidia). I have also seen the Pustulose Phyllidia and have a pic of it on my site. Click Here
The one in your photo looks like the Vericose Phyllidia unless a new species is out there.
I also have a better pic of the Vericose on my site Click Here
I use the Hoover Hawaii's Sea Creatures to ID mine.
Jim

I think your other photo is of the same nudibranch I have. The species is listed as Fyreria on the Nudibranch websites...newly listed in Hawaii. I did a google search under Hawaiian nudibranchs and it was on the first two listings I checked.

Apparently the underside of it is significantly different than the Vericosa. I'm pretty sure I saw a reference earlier that says Hooover is coming out with a nudi book, can't wait.

later

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom