throat constriction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmdiver1

New
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced the feeling of their throat being a little constricted after diving? I have a new regulator and this is the first time I have experienced the feeling of my throat feeling constricted. It is after diving and not consistent.

Other than you dive, there is little to go on. Nothing in fact. More info would be helpful, like is this your first reg, ru a new diver, ru young/old. Your basically asking a group that does not know you, and has zero info on you for medical advice and BTW, we are not doctors! :wink: So that is the one piece of advice I will suggest, if you feel this is a problem see a doctor.

Drink water

Could be because tank air is quite dry air - so your throat could be dryer than usual so as knowone says drink water. - P

There is a type of DCS called the "chokes", but it is quite rare, and it must be highly improbable that you would suffer from it all, much less routinely after conventional recreational diving.

More likely to be a reaction to dry air, or an ill fitting wetsuit or drysuit I would have thought.

Could be because tank air is quite dry air - so your throat could be dryer than usual so as knowone says drink water. - P

I was thinking the same thing! My first pool session I nearly freaked out from the sensation and realized it was just dry air!

It really isn't possible to give you a good answer on this from the little information we have -- or perhaps at all.

"Throat constriction" can be a symptom of a myriad of things, from allergic reactions to angina pectoris. Some of the causes are benign (anxiety), some are not immediately dangerous (esophageal spasm) and some are life-threatening (cardiac ischemia). If you have these symptoms in any other setting at all, I would highly recommend a physician's evaluation, especially if you are middle-aged or older, a smoker, or have any other medical problems.

Don't try this at home, but coughing underwater
is quite ugly, so even a couple of drops, of what
you are diving in is good but don't try this if you
are replacing pump impellers in a sewerage pond

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom