Three unidentified fish in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divenski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was glad to find this forum! I try to identify everything and sometimes it takes a long time and sometimes I am not successful! Here are my three most recent still-to-be-identified fish - thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

First pic - rabbitfish of some sort - variation of blackeye or ?
Next two pics - anemonefish with weird saddle-like markings - but not saddlebacks?
Final pic - a big fish - i thought a grouper - almost a meter long - was actually a bit more greenish than this picture shows.

Sorry about the mediocre quality of the pics - but hopefully enough to identify them.

Thanks!

Attachments

• big fish to id  2478.jpg
    big fish to id 2478.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 113
  • unidentified anemonefish saddleback but orange 1811.jpg
    unidentified anemonefish saddleback but orange 1811.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 85
  • unidentified anemonefish saddleback but orange 1810.jpg
    unidentified anemonefish saddleback but orange 1810.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 98
  • unidentified rabbitfish 1831.jpg
    unidentified rabbitfish 1831.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 123
I believe Pic 4 is an Orange-spotted Emreror - Lethrinus erythracanthus. Most of those I see have yellow fins but when I checked on Fishbase I see they are very variable in colour and also have red fins like yours. Have a look at:
Lethrinus erythracanthus, Orange-spotted emperor : fisheries

---------- Post Merged at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:23 AM ----------

There are some photos on the Fishbase pages for Saddlebacks showing them in yellow/orange. Suggest you check them out: http://www.fishbase.us/summary/Amphiprion-polymnus.html

I believe the first one is a tang(surgeonfish) of some sort. The overall shape and the barb just in front of the tail fin is an indication.

Excellent, Jim, thanks! I have seen Fishbase come up when I searched for a species name, but haven't used the search function in there... I just tried it and think I need to know more about families/genus to easily navigate through it... but will look in the future. You're right on with both species.

---------- Post Merged at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Thanks, Woja22. Looking in Fishbase, it seems match the shape of Ctenochaetus but I can't find anything remotely that color. Any more specific ideas, anyone?

Don't believe that white and blotchy appearance on the first photo is a normal condition. I've seen sever members of that family with a blotchy appearance. Not sure if it is some infection or other condition, but seems to be just associated with that family. The yellow would seem to be an accurate color, but the black (due to this being a color corrected, non-strobe image) could be more blue or purple. If you smooth out the color and change the black, then it is easy to ID.

Thanks for your comments PF.... I tried to imagine what you recommend, went back to the field guide and... not gettin' it.... Feeling a bit dense, but if you could please provide more info, I would be most appreciative!

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa, I understand. Took me a while (as I had put this image in a junk pile, but here is a very odd looking fish:

_1010874.jpg

Whatever has bleached out the color on this fish, has made it look very different than what it actually is, which is this fish:

P1060274121107.jpg

Once it gets skin issues, telling exactly what it is can be difficult. You sort of have to smooth out what remains of the color and image what it would look like if it was a nice smooth, clear look.

Hope that makes some sense.

Jim "Puffer"

Thanks for your comments PF.... I tried to imagine what you recommend, went back to the field guide and... not gettin' it.... Feeling a bit dense, but if you could please provide more info, I would be most appreciative!

Thanks,
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom