Three Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Next year I would love to visit Cozumel and I've got three basic questions...

1) Is Cozumel Equalizer a good dive op ???

2) Which is the best period to visit Cozumel ???

3) Things to do and things not to do once there...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

I have never dived with Cozumel Equalizer, so can't answer that. In my view, anytime is a good period to visit Coz although people will warn you about the hurricane season in the later summer/early fall, the nortes in the winter, jellies in the sprint and the high heat and mosquitos in the summer. ;^) As to your third question, I'm going to refer you to a website called cozumelmycozumel.com Lots of info there about visiting Coz.

Erik Il Rosso:
Next year I would love to visit Cozumel and I've got three basic questions...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

I dove for several years with Cozumel Equalizers. They are a good basic "no frills" dive shop; I only changed ops because Blue Angel bought what is now the Caribe Blu, which is where I always stay.

Cozumel is generally a good place to visit year round. The weather is consistently good and the water is always warm and clear. Yes, there is a risk of hurricanes in the summer months and nortes in the winter, but it all pretty much evens out. Go any time; I would.

To do (besides diving):
Eat in the many excellent restaurants.
Explore the east side of the island.
Take the ferry across to the Yucatan and see the Mayan ruins.
Go fishing.
Sit back with a cold adult beverage and look at the water. Repeat.

To not do:
Do NOT rent a scooter.
Stay out of Carlos n' Charlie's (not that it's dangerous or anything; it's just a typical mall bar with inflated drink prices and full of drunk cruseros).
Avoid the central part of town within a block or two of the water in the middle of the day if you see lots of cruise ships in port.
Do not even talk to the timeshare hustlers other than to say "no, gracias". Walk away. It's not worth the cheap/free car rental.
Don't get in a hurry about anything. Get on "island time".

Above all, enjoy your trip!

I have to disagree with Gordon on Carlos and Charlie’s. They should at least do one visit there and to Señor Frog’s…just to do the watered-down tequila shot from the bar maid blowing the whistle and get the plastic shot glass as a souvenir. :D

I hate it that C&C moved, but I guess that was a good business decision.

Just go and explore the island....

Ciao Erik -- como stai? You'll love Cozumel. I hope you make it there next year! In answer to your questions...

We dove with them six years ago and thought they were very nice, but a little too basic. They didn't ask us where we wanted to dive or what we wanted to see. We've switched to another dive op and have been very happy with them for the past seven years. Let me know if you'd like more information.

We've been there during all times of the year. Never had horrible weather for more than a day or two...

April - June can be beautiful, but can also be pretty rainy
July - August is hot and can be muggy, but there are not as many people around
September - November has wonderful temperatures, but there's always a slight risk of tropical storms and hurricanes
December - February is beautiful but the water temperature is cooler and the evenings can get almost chilly (almost!)

Dive...dive...dive
Visit the east side of the island
Visit San Gervasio (the local Mayan ruins)
Walk down any of the major streets to the east of downtown (3oth ave on) and stop in at local shops and restaurants
Go to the plaza on Sunday evenings and enjoy the music and families
Eat at all the great restaurants
Take the ferry across to the mainland and visit Tulum, Coba and/or Chichen Itza (ruins)
Take a few days to visit Isla Holbox (mainland) to see the whale sharks (if you go in the summer)
Go to www.cozumelmycozumel.com for more ideas

Ciao ciao --

We don't know Coz EQ for a dive shop.
We love to go during the end of Oct. - beginning of Nov. It lapses over Dia de los Muertos, which is kind of nice, and we like to go look at all of the little local kiddies dressed up for Halloween in the town square party on the 31st. It's not a big shin-dig, but still nice. Plus, that time of year is at "the end" of hurricane season, and still low season, so it's not so busy.

Ditto, ggunn; everything.

Ditto, Davki; Dive...dive...dive & go east!!

Have a fabulous trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom