Three days to dive in Bermuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving4ever

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering a short 4-5 day trip to Bermuda in late June. I'll be in DC and there are some very short direct flights and I thought it might be fun to see the island. My understanding is the island is expensive; so I probably won't stay longer than a few days.

For those of you who dive (or have dove) in Bermuda: What dive ops would you reccomend for 3 days of diving?

• I'd love to be able to leave my gear with the dive op (valet service style) but otherwise just looking for the best experience.
  • Travelling solo, so flexibility to dive with the group/dm or find a buddy would be ideal.
  • I'd like to keep my dives under 80' (60 even) unless there is a super compelling reason to go deeper. Just personal preference.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Melissa

Hi diving4ever!

I can definitely recommend Blue Water Divers. Depending on where you are staying, Dive Bermuda or Triangle Diving might also be good options for you.

You’re also in luck that the most popular site, the Mary Celeste is at 60 feet and the South West Breaker will also be within your depth limit. You’re going to love the diving!

If you have any other questions, let us know. Have a great trip!

Here's a vote for Dive Bermuda. I have dived with them for many years and find their service excellent. You can leave your gear/wetsuit at the shop, and possibly even on the boat if your diving several days in a row.

As indicated above, where you stay might affect your choice of dive operation, as getting around the island is not as simple as in other locations. (For example there are no car rentals, and while you can rent a motor scooter, unless you drive one at home I'd advise against it for safety reasons, due to the fact that in Bermuda they drive on the left side of the road, and because of the number of injuries I have observed over the years of traveling there. Taxis are great, but somewhat expensive, and the buses work on their schedule not necessarily your schedule.)

If I recall, the majority of the dives are in the "less than 80 foot" range.

Best of luck in planning your trip, and I hope you have a great time

All the dive shops are pretty good (I've dived with Dive Bermuda, Triangle and Tuckers. I also heard good things about Blue Water.) and will let you leave your gear with them (ask when booking though). They will not necessarily do the "valet" service - unless you ask them they will expect you to take it to the boat and set it up. As MikeD mentions you should really go with the dive shop closest to where you are staying. If you're diving 3 days there will be plenty to go and see whichever side of the island you dive. All dive shops will do a wreck dive and a reef dive.

Finding buddy is not an issue. You'll be diving in a small group anyway so the DM will dive with you if they don't have another solo diver.

In my experience, all the dive sites are shallower than your preference.

My favorite sites are

Tarpon Hole - Dive Bermuda dives there. No tarpons but often you'll see a group of large groupers
Cathedral - Triangle and Tucker's dive here. Nice swim throughs
Cristobal Colon - Triangle dives here though it's a bit far so even they don't seem to go very often. A very large wreck and I think it's relatively more pristine.

If you are relatively new to diving I would recommend Dive Bermuda.

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like Dive Bermuda is the place to start! Any reccomendations for a nice place to stay near there?

Melissa

I'd recommend Fairmont Southampton hotel. It is a large hotel, one we have stayed at many times.We plan to take another trip this year. Dive Bermuda is located on their beach.
FYI, 2 things to keep in mind: it is a good distance outside of Hamilton,but travel to Hamilton from the hotel is pretty easy by ferry, bus, or taxi. Also, as you mentioned in your original post, Bermuda is an expensive island, as is this hotel.
Enjoy your trip!

Definitely dive with the op closest to where you are staying because there are no rental cars in BDA, you can't really take dive gear on the buses, taxis are expensive and scooters and dive gear are a challenge. One trip we stayed at the Grotto because Triangle is on site. Another trip we dove Blue Waters as they were closest by scooter/bus to our rental. Dive Bermuda is onsite at the Southhampton.

Diving solo should not be an issue. Either buddy up on the boat or follow a dm if there is one in the water.
Most if not all dives in BDA not deep, under 80'.

Bermuda is considered expensive but mostly for hotel accommodations. House/apt Rentals and air fare are reasonable. Food no more so than say Manhattan or Grand Cayman. Look for specials in the Spring, especial on Jet Blue.

Back
Top Bottom