Threading first BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kardisa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just received my first BP/W and am in the process of threading it. I initially tried it with the straps straight, with the help of the tutorial on DIR-diver.com. However, it seems like my shoulders are too thin, as the straps are rubbing uncomfortably on my arm even when trying it on. I would like to try crossing the straps, but I can't find a photo showing how to do this. If someone could post a photo of their rig, or a clear explanation, it would be greatly appreciated.

You just cross the straps. Right shoulder to left hip, left shoulder to right hip.

I don't know how else to explain it. I use crossed straps too for my BP/W. Have you seen this website for correct adjustment of your harness? http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing_inline_images.php

Scott, what are you questioning the safety of?

Thank you. I honestly wasn't sure if that was it or if there was more to it.

My thoughts were on the ability of a quick exit on the surface...

Do you realize that this is the Hog diving section of the technical specialties? If you don't know the gear, please don't comment on it.

I would like to try crossing the straps, but I can't find a photo showing how to do this. If someone could post a photo of their rig, or a clear explanation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Traditional:

bp-166.jpg

Crossed:

bp123-s.jpg

Hmm, would that be safe?

Yes and some people with smaller frames have said the crossed straps feel more stable to them. The traditional method on can make the straps tend to slide off the shoulders of smaller people. Alternatively, some use a chest strap.

Traditional:

bp-166.jpg

Crossed:

bp123-s.jpg

Cave_Diver,

The captions on your pictures are a bit misleading, I think, as most of the harnesses I was seeing around 1988 used crossed straps; I didn't begin seeing many un-crossed straps until 1995 or so. Also, the pics seem to imply that crossed straps (always) use a sternum strap, and that crotch straps are (always) used, which of course isn't so. (I know you probably know all this; I point these things out for divers new to BP/W's.)

FWIW, I use crossed straps with no sternum strap and no crotch strap--with double HP 100's and double HP 120's and double Al 80's. A few months ago I began using a Freedom Plate for some of my single cylinder diving. I've threaded my harness on my Freedom Plate the same way.

Safe Diving,

Ronald

Also, the pics seem to imply that crossed straps (always) use a sternum strap, and that crotch straps are (always) used, which of course isn't so. (I know you probably know all this; I point these things out for divers new to BP/W's.)

I think that's more a result of one of those pictures shows the "deluxe" harness from that manufacturer and one shows a "standard" harness. Sorry if that causes anyone confusion, but it was the only pictures I could find of the differences on short notice.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom