Thread Split - DAN insurance for Cozumel DM's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to hijack the thread...but a dive op owner on Cozumel told me recently that they (dive professionals) are unable to buy DAN dive insurance.

Not to hijack the thread...but a dive op owner on Cozumel told me recently that they (dive professionals) are unable to buy DAN dive insurance.

Do you mean the dive professionals on Coz can't afford DAN insurance? Or do you mean DAN won't insure them? Sorry about the additional hijack but I had to ask.

Do you mean the dive professionals on Coz can't afford DAN insurance? Or do you mean DAN won't insure them? Sorry about the additional hijack but I had to ask.

It is purely speculation on my part, so please excuse me if I am ignorant of the facts, but...

It seems to me that a lot of DM's in places we all love to dive around the world, do not make a very good living off guiding divers. :shakehead:

To us, the cost of full DAN coverage may seem pretty insignificant, but to a DM in a "third world" economy, especially one with a family and many mouths to feed, in such a poor country such as Mexico, may simply not have enough money left at the end of the day, and have to make the decision to forgo that coverage as too costly. Such an added expense could mean taking food off the table for his family.

Just a thought. Which, if it is true, leads to another thought.

If that is the case, then I wish that there could be some way as an industry we could find a way to provide a basic coverage for all working DM's, that would be assured threw agencies who's banner they work under.

Hijack over.

It is purely speculation on my part, so please excuse me if I am ignorant of the facts, but...

It seems to me that a lot of DM's in places we all love to dive around the world, do not make a very good living off guiding divers. :shakehead:

To us, the cost of full DAN coverage may seem pretty insignificant, but to a DM in a "third world" economy, especially one with a family and many mouths to feed, in such a poor country such as Mexico, may simply not have enough money left at the end of the day, and have to make the decision to forgo that coverage as too costly. Such an added expense could mean taking food off the table for his family.

Just a thought. Which, if it is true, leads to another thought.

If that is the case, then I wish that there could be some way as an industry we could find a way to provide a basic coverage for all working DM's, that would be assured threw agencies who's banner they work under.

Hijack over.

If it's an issue of finances, that's a shame. During my next trip to Coz, makes me want to buy DAN insurance for the DM's I'll be using if they're not already insured. I don't mean give them the money for it, but actually get on line and purchase it for them.

If it's an issue of finances, that's a shame. During my next trip to Coz, makes me want to buy DAN insurance for the DM's I'll be using if they're not already insured. I don't mean give them the money for it, but actually get on line and purchase it for them.

As a sport/industry that is such a great thought!
I am sure a lot of ops in some of these places work on a shoestring, and paying enough for their local DM's to be covered by DAN is probably not going to happen when every $ is dear, and competition for those $ fierce.

The owner of that business told me in July that DAN will not sell dive insurance to divers who work in the dive industry. The person who told me that described in detail having personally been denied dive insurance from DAN on that basis. I don't know if there is more to the story...I didn't get that impression at the time. It was a long conversation. That is the full extent of my knowledge on the subject.
End of hijack...just felt I should clarify since I made the initial comment.
Love and prayers and support to those involved in this accident. There but for the grace of God...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom