Thoughts on this package for my 60th birthday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second this. Do some research and you will find generally you can pick nice gear on sale or used for fairly very low cost.
For example, right now on a scuba gear FB page there is a Scubapro MK25/ S555 advertised as new for 350 and an Oceanic BCD used but good condition for 50 dollars.

You could add a used octo plus a nonAI Shearwater to this and have an outstanding set for about the same price.

So maybe a better question is, what would you buy for $1200 to $1500 BCD, Reg, Computer?

That is really a subjective question because what I would buy is different that what others would buy. Also depends on the type of diving you do. When I do single tank dive its just tropical warm water, if your in the UK then you would need a totally different setup.

Me personally I do not do a lot of single tank diving but if I had $1200-$1500 to spend and lost my gear right now I would buy the same thing I currently use. Apeks xtx50's on a DST, backplate and Argonaut 18# wing. The regs I bought used for about $300, wing was $240 new (once and a blue moon you can find one used, good luck) back plate well I have lots of them but currently I just use my JJ backplate (free but not really came with my JJ), but I do have an Aluminum one in picked up for $40 used. Total cost $ 580 and for doubles I use a Dive Rite 45lbs wing (about $300). That leaves you with $620-$920 to spend on computer and misc small gear, fins, mask, etc.

But like I said that is what works for me and what I like, some people love BP&W others hate it that is for you to decide don't let people push one or the other on you try them and see what you like see what is comfy and practical for you. And regulator brands and wing brands thats just a Chevy vs. Ford thing its all up to you and I cannot tell you what is better than the other, really any reputable brand is good. Since your looking at SP gear the equivalent to the reg I have suggested would be the MK25, nothing wrong with that, amazing performing reg!

Only reason why I think some of us are straying you away from the typical dive shop package special is because for the same money if you shop around you could put a similar package together with better gear for the same price if not cheaper. There is nothing wrong with the package your suggested but its like buying a Toyota Carolla vs Corvette yeah there both cars and they get your from point A to point B but there is a performance and quality difference. But if your just looking for a one stop shop easy click and ship then the deal you have suggested might be right for you. Its just some of use would spend our money differently.

Thank you all, very helpful. While i tend to be a technical tinkering/geek in some things, that inclination does not seem to extend to diving. I will likely establish a single tank set-up that I am comfortable with to carry me through the next 10 year until I am 70, the good Lord willing. One of the primary reasons I am buying the BCD/Reg is to establish a fixed set-up to use dive after dive. I got into that predictable space in April with rental gear when we did 26 dives in 6 days of diving in Bonaire and I really liked it. Now, if I was a younger man...

I read a post on FB Scuba Divers that really resonated for me. The thread was, have you ever aborted a dive based on the pre-dive briefing. It made me think about my limits and risk tolerance. Back in December in grand Cayman I had a dive master plan a 120' deep swim through. He and I were on Nitrox, he said it would be fine. I declined (my limit for Nitrox is 100' - I know, I know) and ask for an alternate route which he was very cool with. Funny part is as people geared up 3 others found their way to me and asked if they could stay with me. All good, i know my limits, have nothing to prove to anyone and am very happy to be just enjoying diving at this point.

On the Corolla/Corvette comparison, if I was driving Boston to FL 100% I would pick the Corolla. More reliable, comfortable, fuel efficient, safer, cost efficient, lower profile with police and nefarious characters and just better suited and practical for that journey. Granted far less cool, but sitting on the floor makes my back hurt.

Thank you all, very helpful. While i tend to be a technical tinkering/geek in some things, that inclination does not seem to extend to diving. I will likely establish a single tank set-up that I am comfortable with to carry me through the next 10 year until I am 70, the good Lord willing. One of the primary reasons I am buying the BCD/Reg is to establish a fixed set-up to use dive after dive. I got into that predictable space in April with rental gear when we did 26 dives in 6 days of diving in Bonaire and I really liked it. Now, if I was a younger man...

I read a post on FB Scuba Divers that really resonated for me. The thread was, have you ever aborted a dive based on the pre-dive briefing. It made me think about my limits and risk tolerance. Back in December in grand Cayman I had a dive master plan a 120' deep swim through. He and I were on Nitrox, he said it would be fine. I declined (my limit for Nitrox is 100' - I know, I know) and ask for an alternate route which he was very cool with. Funny part is as people geared up 3 others found their way to me and asked if they could stay with me. All good, i know my limits, have nothing to prove to anyone and am very happy to be just enjoying diving at this point.

On the Corolla/Corvette comparison, if I was driving Boston to FL 100% I would pick the Corolla. More reliable, comfortable, fuel efficient, safer, cost efficient, lower profile with police and nefarious characters and just better suited and practical for that journey. Granted far less cool, but sitting on the floor makes my back hurt.
You are young

Back in December in grand Cayman I had a dive master plan a 120' deep swim through. He and I were on Nitrox, he said it would be fine.

Good call. IMO, limits had nothing to do with that call, that was the only call. I would have done the same thing and asked for a refund if they insisted on that profile. Or reported it. That being said, unless I'm on a LOB, I am on regular air.

Find a shop that is willing to put together a package based on the individual items YOU want, not what is a pre-determined package. You can build your own. I did this and it was great. If you can’t find one, my local shop will do it for you and will even ship. Just let me know and I can put you in touch. I am not connected in any professional way.

FWIW, Aqua Lung and Apeks is probably better for their diaphragm regs. Scubapro more so for their piston regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom