Thoughts on the Dive Rite Nomad XT Sidemount vs. Twinset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomcatbubba

Trimix Instructor | Master Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all, I've taught about 40 divers on the Dive Rite Nomad XT dual bladder in both recreational and technical sidemount class, and dove it a fair amount of times now so thought I would offer my thoughts and solicit a few questions.

Overall, I think the system is very well designed, with about 15 minutes of dialing in for a new student, the BC dives very nicely. Trim is usually spot on, and students typically dive it very well right out of the gate. One thing I might change on the system, and something i have done on mine, is to take off the large bolt snap, quick link, and ring, and replace with an extra large bolt snap that is routed directly on the bungee loop. The ring on the extra large bolt snap is about as large as the ring on the bungee system which is where I clip my tanks, and by removing about 4 inches of "stuff", the tanks tend to sit much higher under the armpits. Otherwise, they are far too low for my preference. But, these are minor things, and overall I think it a solid choice for both recreational and technical SM dives.

A quick question for those who have dove it in twinset, which I have not. Does it work well? Does the lack of a rigid backplate hinder heavy steel twinset use? I was trying to imagine walking around in the rig with heavy steels and I just don't know how it would work.

Cheers,
TB

remember that the transpac was actually designed to be used with doubles while hiking.
The plates should be touching both of the tanks when adjusted properly so the Transpac does the same. You do need to use the stabilizer plates though which mimic the spine of the rigid backplates. Can't feel them when adjusted properly, even without a shirt on.
What doesn't work particularly well with the nomad is the trim profile. There is a LOT of lift at your hips for sidemount which is great, but it may push you too far head down with doubles. Not the wing that I would use for regular use with doubles, but for rare use where you don't want to keep a plate and wing for the 1-2x/year you use it, it will certainly work just fine

Awesome, thanks T just what I was looking for.

Cheers,
TB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom