Thoughts on Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simon-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking at a possible trip in March and narrowed it down to either the Philippines or Sulawesi.

I know a lot of people who have dived in PI but none in that part of Indonesia.

Any comments or thoughts on the diving there?

Are you talking about North Sulawesi? So much to say, and said so many times already! Search this forum for Bunaken, Bangka, and Lembeh. Maybe throw in Buyat, Gorontalo, Parigi Moutong, and Poopoh. Everything from hard and soft corals, giant sponges, some of the world's premier muck diving, and maybe a few pelagics. Resorts from homestay to four star. The first three areas are so close together, and serviced by one airport, that you can dive them all if you want, though that would be a tall order. We just did Bangka and Lembeh, repeat destinations for both of us, and very diverse diving. I'd go back yet another time, or more.

Ditto what Highdesert said. I have written a number of trip reports about Lembeh and Bangka as have many others. Go do some searching!
In a word I would say GO!!
A two week trip to Lambeh, Bangka, and a few days in Bunaken will be amazing!

I agree with AlMitch and HighDesert!! We have been to Lembeh 3x and loved it everytime!!!

Isn't Wakatobi part of Sulawesi? I have not been there yet but am going in October 2015. I heard that the diving is very good.
The Wakatobi group is nearer to SE Sulawesi than any other big piece of land, but 875 km south of the North Sulawesi dive areas. Same only very different. For me, Wakatobi is still the benchmark for the greatest variety of soft coral in a condensed area. You can get the same mix elsewhere, but not the same concentration of dives all within a 15-45 minute boat ride of each other.

"Sulawesi" covers a lot of ground and some very different diving. On our trip there, we spent five days in Bunaken, which is composed of enormous, sheer, current-swept walls, and five days in Lembeh, which is muck diving with an incredible density of the weird and wonderful. We enjoyed both, although I found the muck diving more exciting. We stayed at Tasik Ria when we were diving Bunaken, and the place was very pleasant, although the food left a little to be desired. We stayed at Kungkungen Bay Resort in Lembeh, and I have nothing but good things to say about that experience. The rooms were beautiful, the service was great, and the menu had enough options to keep everybody happy.

Having also dived the Philippines, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Thanks for the input guys.

The deed is done, off to Manado for the last week of March, staying at Tasik Ria

Try and request the ocean front rooms! They are much nicer than pool view rooms! The dive shop and crew are awesome!!!
Thanks for the input guys.

The deed is done, off to Manado for the last week of March, staying at Tasik Ria

Hi Simon,

Missed your original post, hope you have a great trip. Try and get a few dives over at Lembeh as well as in Bunaken area, awesome macro subjects in Lembeh.

Back
Top Bottom