Thoughts on possible BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L_A_S

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been doing some research into bp/w's after 5 years of the jacket bc. I was hoping someone with more experience in the area could point out any flaws in my potential setup. I realize this is a vague/open question, but maybe there's a brand combination that doesn't work or something else that I don't know about but should consider. Or are pretty much all parts interchangeable?

I'll be using singles from Al80 to Steel 120, primarily in NC quarries, NC wrecks, and Florida/Caribbean wrecks/reefs. I may end up going to doubles a long ways down the road, and I've considered a wing that can handle single and double, but in comments most of them don't seem to be great for either (pinching/tacoing etc).

Harness: Dive Rite Basic

Plate: OMS Aluminum (double the cost for 3 more lbs?)

Wing: Oxycheq Mach V Signature or Extreme (both eliminate STA, very streamlined)

Two other questions: I considered cutting the left shoulder strap and inserting a quick release buckle in case I need to ditch it quickly, thoughts on that? (I know it's not DIR etc...)
and: i'd like to replace the standard inflator with the Tusa Duo Air octo/inflator i already own, is that connection universal?

I know that the LDS can also answer these, but I hope others looking to switch to bp/w's may be able to continue this thread with similar questions that I haven't yet considered.

Thanks in advance.
Luke

A couple of thoughts.

I think you'll find that, if you give the simple harness a good go (and get it adjusted correctly) you won't need the QR. Don't put it in until you've played around with the harness as it for a while.

If you are diving steel 120's in fresh water in the summertime, you probably want an Al plate because otherwise, you might be overweighted. Although I like the SS plate for salt water diving, big steels in warm fresh water is probably better with Al. You can always figure out ways to add weight to an Al plate, but you can't subtract it from SS. (I use camband weight pockets.)

Don't even TRY to get one wing for singles and doubles. It's false economy.

You may find that the OMS plate doesn't mate with the Oxycheq wing -- the spacing between the camband slots is what's important, and it's not standard, and not all combinations work. I don't know anything about this particular one.

Similarly, the mounting for inflator hoses can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and your inflator may or may not mount on the wing you want to buy. You do have the ability to ask in the various manufacturer's forums here on SB, but of course, few manufacturers are doing the research to find out if one piece of what they make works with someone else's piece, since they know their own stuff is all compatible :)

I too am building a bp/wing setup. Luckilly i picked up the OMS stainless steel backplate on ebay without paying full price. i have been doing a lot of research on wings and i have to agree with TsandM on not getting one wing for both uses. the beauty of customizing your bp/wing system is you can change and upgrade your equipment as you advance. that way youre not using a bulky doubles wing with one tank.

interestingly enough, i was also considering the oxycheq mach 5 and Tusa Duo. great diving minds think alike.

I started a thread regarding BP/W and weight configurations a few threads below. i need more input on it.

by the way... how does one figure out if a wing from another manufacturer will mate with an OMS backplate?? I would hate to spend 3 bills on a wing and not have it fit.

GO TEXAS!!

Last edited:
I have been using a Deep Sea Supply stainless plate with additional weight plates added, when I am diving with my Al 100 doubles I have only needed 10 lbs of weight. If I go to a single Al I can remove the weight plates.
I have just picked up a new to me BP/W with cam straps off of Ebay,its a Diverite Stainless with harness and wing it weighs 11 lbs so it should be good for traveling.

I haven't had any problems with wings not fitting. I think that all of them are made to standard specs so they will be interchangeable

I will offer several thoughts, and add a couple of comments along the lines of those that TSand M made. Fortunately, most aspects of BP and wing setups are interchangeable across manufacturers, but some are not. See comments, below.
I may end up going to doubles a long ways down the road, and I've considered a wing that can handle single and double, but in comments most of them don't seem to be great for either (pinching/tacoing etc).
TSandM:
Don't even TRY to get one wing for singles and doubles.
Absolutely agree. Since doubles are 'a long ways down the road', pick a good singles wing now.
I'll be using singles from Al80 to Steel 120, primarily in NC quarries, NC wrecks, and Florida/Caribbean wrecks/reefs.
I have been doing the same type of diving for the past few years, so my comments reflect my personal experiences in that environment.
Plate: OMS Aluminum (double the cost for 3 more lbs?)
TSandM:
If you are diving steel 120's in fresh water in the summertime, you probably want an Al plate because otherwise, you might be overweighted. Although I like the SS plate for salt water diving, big steels in warm fresh water is probably better with Al. You can always figure out ways to add weight to an Al plate, but you can't subtract it from SS.
This is a frequent concern among those moving to a BP. Lynne makes a good point about 'removability' of weight. But, my own experience is that starting with a SS plate for singles met my needs in both fresh and salt water very well - with an HP120, and certainly with an AL80 - because I still needed to add weight with both tanks, even with a 3mm wetsuit. In fact I only recently added an AL BP, for 3mm wetsuit steel doubles diving. Yes, the SS costs a bit more than AL but the difference, in the grand cosmos of SCUBA-related costs, is trivial. You will be diving Fantasy, probably Rawlings, possibly PDRA (definitely look into PDRA). Unless you decide to dive only between mid-June and late September, you will probably want more than a 3mm wetsuit, and the extra weight of a SS will allow you to keep some weight off your waist.
TSandM:
You may find that the OMS plate doesn't mate with the Oxycheq wing -- the spacing between the camband slots is what's important, and it's not standard, and not all combinations work.
OMS plates now have several cam band slot 'sets', so there should not be a problem with the Oxycheq wings (but make certain before you buy the plate). Older OMS plates did not have any cam band slots. If you buy used, make sure you know what you are getting.
Wing: Oxycheq Mach V Signature or Extreme (both eliminate STA, very streamlined)
Very good wing choices.
I considered cutting the left shoulder strap and inserting a quick release buckle in case I need to ditch it quickly,
TSandM:
I think you'll find that, if you give the simple harness a good go (and get it adjusted correctly) you won't need the QR. Don't put it in until you've played around with the harness as it for a while.
I agree, try the basic harness before you make the decision. I like the QR when diving drysuit and doubles. With a 3mm wetsuit, single tank rig, I don't really need a QR. Diving with thicker neoprene (5-7mm) may support the utility of a QR, though. If you do decide to add a QR, go to Lacock's Shoe Store, at the Whole Foods mall off Franklin. David did the sewing for me on a harness recently, where I added a left shoulder QR. Since that is a possibility, why not just buy 10 ft of webbing, a buckle and some D rings and triglides, and fashion your own harness? Just a thought. There are lots of BP users in the area, and you should be able to get assistance from several LDS in the vicinity as well.

. . . i'd like to replace the standard inflator with the Tusa Duo Air octo/inflator i already own, is that connection universal?
The responses to your other questions are far better than I could give. But, I do dive a BP/W with an integrated octo/inflater, so I can give you my experience with attaching one.

Most of the wings I've run across have either a 1" or 7/8" I.D. corrugated hose. So if the Tusa Duo has an O.D. fitting that is slightly larger than that, you can simply zip-tie it on. But, here's the kicker. Chances are your current BC came with a 22" corrugated hose. Most of the wings have now switched to a 13" hose. Way to short to be of any use with the Duo. This isn't difficult to fix. You can simply replace the hose with a longer one. I got everything I needed from Dive Rite Express. Now if you choose to replace it with a 22" hose, know that it is going to hang down quite a bit. I went with an 18" hose because that's what worked for me. But, different people are different sized, so length needed may vary. Obviously, the shortest length that will still allow for breathing off of the Duo and head movement is the best. The next possible issue is a cable-dump. Your current BC probably has one, but wings don't. If you don't use it, then no big deal you won't miss it. If you do want one (and you'll probably get to hear all about how dangerous they are), chances are the wing you get will use a generic threaded fitting inside the bladder and you can simply unscrew the plain elbow and screw on the cable-dump. Dive Rite Express sells these as well. All in all, it's not that difficult of a process, it just takes some fiddling.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone, that's exactly the information I needed. I ended up with an aluminum plate following TSandM's logic. Oxycheq makes a weight sleeve to go in the ridge on the plate, if necessary i'll try that or upgrade to SS, but I think the aluminum will be worth a shot. I'm looking for lightweight, simple and streamlined, but still solid. I got it cheap from a friend, if I decide to go SS I may be able to sell it for more than i paid for it... I went with the Signature wing over the Extreme, it seems more streamlined, I don't think I need the extra 10 lbs of lift, and dont plan to throw darts at my gear. The harness will remain intact, at least until I find some issue with donning/removing the rig in a safe/efficient manner. I've never used a pull dump and don't plan to start, but I'm glad to hear the duo-air should work, it's currently on an 18" hose. I got a Dive Rite Quick draw sleeve for my SMB, so I'll tinker with that as well as how to attach my knife to my waist with its plastic sheath (thoughts?anyone sewn webbing loops for this purpose?)
Again thanks, I hope to soon be among the convinced jacket to bp/w converters

Since I am also doing my homework I have found conflicting information with regard to the Oxycheq Mach V wing that someone my be able to clarify. Since the wing does not need a STA for stability but it has no cam strap slots, how is the tank held in place and what gives it its stability? Next, Oxycheq states there is no need for an STA when using their BP. Is there something special about the plate geometry, lack of slots, etc? Will an STA be needed with other BPs?

Finally, a comment was made about not needing the extra 10# of lift. For my self diving cold fresh water in a 7mm I have calculated that the rig will need to support about 29-30#. (120 full -10.3, SS plate -6, regs -5, STA -1, 7mm full + hood +21, weights -7.7 = Balance +/- 2#; Rig -10.3, -6, -5, -1, -7.7 = -30) So, a 30# wing leaves no margin so a 40# is in my future, yes?

Someone more experienced please correct me, I talked to the guys at Scubatoys on the phone and am concluding some of these statements from what i've gather this last week.

I asked the guys specifically if the Mach V is compatible with the OMS backplate, they said yes, and i can use the single apollo bio lock cam band. It's a matter of the cam strap slots lining up. The wing does have the slots. The wing is wedged between tank and plate in a way that keeps it from rolling left and right, eliminating the need for an STA. I've read that people use garden hose cut in half and somehow attached to the plate to save money, STA's cost a lot for how simple they are. Its because of the wing, not plate that a STA is not needed in this case.

The lift issue I am not sure on mathematically, but I don't see a reason not to go with the 40lb, my main dissuasion was the bulkiness. It's still more streamlined than most wings.

Back
Top Bottom