Thoughts on Motormarine II systems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

Been a while since I posted last...I returned from a trip to Bimini with Blackbeard Cruises a few weeks ago, and took about 3 rolls of uw pictures with my MMII system (camera, 20mm conversion lens, YS50TTL flash). I suppose some of my pics turned out fairly good, although it seems like a lot of the time my flash must have not gone off or something (too blue). Also I noticed that my rewind lever didn't want to do anything, and my last roll I actually had to pull out, painfully, and roll up by hand. Anyway, I knew the MMII isn't Nikonos quality but I wanted to query yall about your experiences with this system, opinions on image quality, etc.

I will try to post some of my pics soon...

cheers

I used a MMII rig for several years...dual strobes, 20mm and 16mm wide angle, 2T and 3T macro lenses, etc.

I did get some good photos but more soft focus that sharp ones. I got very frustrated and disgusted with all my efforts and then the expense of processing and printing the photos only to throw over half that money in the trash.

About the time my frustration had me leaving the camera at home, along came digital cameras. I had been seeing Jeff aka Sharpdiver, post fantastic photos from his Oly C-3030 and I fell in love all over again. I was lucky to sell my MMII system on eBay for than enough to cover the complete digital set-up for a Oly C-4040/PT10. Back then the camera was $750 and the housing was $300. Man, has that changed!

But I digress.....the learning curve was very short for the digital system and my keepers improved to about 60%. Being able to preview the photo after I took it was/is priceless. The money saved on that first trip from processing more than paid for the extra memory cards I bought.

I'll never go back to film!

Well, I shot with a MMII for several years, 20mm lens, YS50 strobe. I really enjoyed the camera a lot. Got some real nice photos also, but as Dee noted, processing adds up, and I shot slides so sharing was difficult. I'm currently changing over to a digital system myself. Have camera and housing now, once I get the WAL and strobe, look out.

Yeah, I did the slide thing, too. Now, with the digital, I still have the small expense of printing but I can process the photos the way I want them and print only the ones I want. Some enjoy doing their own printing but I'm happy letting a good photo lab do my prints for me. Much cheaper that way, too....at least for me.

Moogyboy,
I think the others have said it all.
I would not have even bothered with "amateur underwater photography" if not for digital cameras.

Okay, so Olympus digital seems to be the consensus around here? A quick look at the Oly forum shows that the 5050 or 5060 (I have no idea what those are like) seems to be the favorite. Hmm...problem is that most decent digital cams are at least $300; with a housing and flash we're looking at a crapload of money here. :-( I suppose I will have to buckle someday and go digital anyway...underwater photo is pricey any way you dunk it. This will require some further study...

Meanwhile, should I consider ditching my MMII rig? I'd hate to...

cheers

Billy S.

I think prosumer digital cameras/housings are relatively inexpensive when you look at the entire picture (no pun intended). Not considering add-on's I have about $225. invested in a 4 megapixel camera and $200. in the housing. You can take a lot of great photos with that setup just using the internal strobe and manual white balance without a strobe.

Even though I use an Olympus, there are others out there like Canon etc. that are good cameras with same brand housings.

As for ditching your MMII rig, that's a calculated decision on your part. The longer you hold onto it the less likely you can sell it for a good price. But if you sell it now then you have nothing to use in the interim until you buy a digital camera.

You could do as Dee said she did...sell the MMII to help fund the digital. Just a thought.

Moogyboy:
Okay, so Olympus digital seems to be the consensus around here? A quick look at the Oly forum shows that the 5050 or 5060 (I have no idea what those are like) seems to be the favorite. Hmm...problem is that most decent digital cams are at least $300; with a housing and flash we're looking at a crapload of money here. :-( I suppose I will have to buckle someday and go digital anyway...underwater photo is pricey any way you dunk it. This will require some further study...

Meanwhile, should I consider ditching my MMII rig? I'd hate to...

cheers

Billy S.

Click-----HERE for a post I made on the subject of Oly's popularity a while back. Just because most of us here use them, doesn't mean they are better than others. Canon's S series are also great cameras with decently priced housings.

Only you can decide to sell your MMII rig. One question to ask yourself is if you're happy with the results you are getting? I'm glad I sold mine and haven't regretted a day of it. I only wish I'd kept my YS30 slave strobe! :D

Before you rush to sell the whole get up you might want to check which other MM II bits will fit digital. I think the 20mm MM II lens will fit the Canon S series housings.. while it might reduce what you can sell the Motor marine for it will reduce the cost of the new set up.

Back
Top Bottom