Thoughts on how many years we should expect our dive computers to function properly.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own three dive computers and all three have started "acting out".
As an example, for one of them the default setting is metric, by you can change to feet.
I can no longer get mine to change. It works fine in metric but won't switch to feet.

I was thinking of purchasing a new model that is easier to read due to the fact that I have a hard time reading my current one on night dives - old eyes - small watch face - it's an Xtender and is no bigger than a wrist watch.

BTW - all three computers are at least 18 years old :)

DD

Eighteen years is pretty good. My Oceanic VT3 is a little over 10 years old, 1509 dives, 1592 hours. It's not just age, but also use. That is my current standard...:)

I would expect 15-20 years. Unless they have a built in rechargeable battery, then things get dicey. I think it is the Liquidvision where if the computer looses power (during a battery swap or just a really dead battery) it won't boot back up. It will need to be booted by a company that is no longer around.

But the basic replacable battery dive computer, a couple decades.

My Suunto Cobra is over 20 years old and still going strong.

what other electronics do you have that you expect to last that long?
Phones- 2 to 4 years?
Laptops- 2 to 4 years
TVs- 4 to 10 years?

I'd expect dive computers to last about 10 years max, but I think that's pretty darned good to have them at 18 years. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with some of the new offerings

Phones- 2 to 4 years?
Laptops- 2 to 4 years
TVs- 4 to 10 years?

I'd expect dive computers to last about 10 years max, but I think that's pretty darned good to have them at 18 years. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with some of the new offerings
Pretty low expectations, you're likely younger than I am

I had a pair of Cochran EMC-20's that I bought in 2007, one of which was used and years older. Both of them failed in 2019. One had a failure of the temperature sensor which locked it out from use. The other had it's LCD screen fail probably due to failing solder joints. I tried to cannibalize one to save the other but it didn't succeed. They were both backup computers at this point for our CCR's. I had a fond spot for them as they were tough and reliable, and probably only had 2 batteries in 12 years. That was a pretty good run. I put them to rest in an quiet, shady spot in my junk drawer.

Phones- 2 to 4 years?
Laptops- 2 to 4 years
TVs- 4 to 10 years?

I agree with @scubadafo once. My phone is over 4 years old, my laptop is almost 10 years old, if it hadn't been for a lightning strike, my TV' would be more that 10 years old.

Cheers,

The TV in my spare room is well over 20 yrs and is still working fine, of course it won't receive HD signal.
However, my main 3 yrs old LED TV is already on the way out!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom