• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by ttsugar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I understand the point of the safety factor, but not what it does. It is a percentage.....of what? For SF2, for example, does the 0.92 mean an additional 92/92 gradient line is applied?

2. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I believe that you're trying to measure thousandths of an inch with a tape measure.

Safety factors are designed for those who want easy. Many divers don't want to deal with g-factors and that's OK. They want a dive computer that tells them they are safe, safer or safest. Pounding Deep6 for an answer here is unfair. They've tried to be patient. They've tried to make it clear. Their PDC just doesn't allow for the same control as those where you can dial in any gradient factor. You got three choices and they've posted all they're going to post.

It's been my experience that if you ask a half dozen instructors to explain gradient factors, you'll get a dozen different explanations. That's not a typo. Many who claim to understand, just don't. Many who claim to be experts, aren't. The basics of deco theory just aren't that hard to understand. However, the implementation of deco theory is pure voodoo. It's as much of an art as it is a guess. I can't remember who came up with this trope, but deco theory is tantamount to measuring with a micrometer, marking with chalk and cutting with an axe. In essence, anything you get off of any PDC is a SWAG: a Scientific Wild Arsed Guess. Safety factors and gradient factors are an attempt to fudge the output in your favor. The only way to know is to measure dissolved N2 in the various tissue groups and we're not there yet. I doubt we'll ever be there.

3. lexvil

lexvil Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Truly this computer is marketed to those who only want “safe, safer and safest” (by the way brilliant way to put it) this is a low cost basic computer.

4. Fastmarc

Fastmarc Just drifting along... ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yep and the probing on the SF i believe is mostly by those that want to use it as a backup to another computer, like I do. I got my answer form seeing the photo comparison by those that were kind enough to post and the comparison that @cerich posted.
    I don't need to know exactly what the SF does. No more than I would need to know why my basic Mares RGBM differs from SUUnto's. They were both designed to give “safe, safer and safest” in their own way.

lexvil likes this.
  5. lexvil

lexvil Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    That’s why I bought one, and after diving it with the Teric (maybe my pics you refer too, along with Chris’s chart) I find it close enough to work as a back up and a loaner.

Fastmarc and rhwestfall like this.
  6. Fastmarc

Fastmarc Just drifting along... ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It probably was. Was too lazy to scroll and look. LOL
    Thanks for doing that.

lexvil likes this.
  7. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Not to mention high quality, great customer service, and from a US based company :wink:

chillyinCanada likes this.
  8. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

FYI, I was able to get mine through @wetb4igetinthewater :D He was an excellent seller, great communication, and took great care of me :) Thanks Kosta!

9. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

Andrew! Shhhhhh!!!! Those are from the box that fell out of the truck on their way to Deep 6. You weren't supposed to say anything! Now @cerich and @LandonL are going to have questions for me that I'd rather not answer!

Andrew Dawson likes this.
  10. stu1965

stu1965 Angel Fish

used it for 25 dives in roatan last week, alongside the teric. set GF the same on both. pretty much the same readings as the teric. The only thing (for me) its missing is a dive planner and ability to upload logs to some software. (maybe i missed this in the manual or one of the older posts in this thread)

Jay and LandonL like this.