• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by ttsugar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Useful for teaching dive planning in OW if you are not using tables

markmud likes this.
  2. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!

First, thank you very much for your kind help!!

These points that are from D6's website are also available in the Crest Diving version of the computer, aren't they?

I believe that every DC vendor out there adds a fudge factor to the pure Bühlmann algorithm to add extra SF padding. This also applies to the Crest Diving version and isn't a special thing to the D6 version, is it?

For the US support and service by D6, I am sure that D6 will do excellent job as they appear to have always done with their other products.

Doesn't the Crest Diving version have CE certification also? They are promoting and selling it in Europe it appears.

Does this imply that the Crest version doesn't have a mobile Bluetooth app and they won't offer firmware updates? I can't imagine that they don't or won't.

Crest doesn't have SF on top of the pure Bühlmann algo. or is D6 adding another layer of SF on top of the one added by Crest?

I am sure and I hope that they did before the would offer it to their clients. If anything turns out to be a problem with the computer, the liability would extend to D6 first especially if they are adding their logo to the computer start up screen.

They appear to have been doing that with all of their other products according to the feedback one sees from customers who have dealt with D6.

I don't have that history either BUT Crest is the manufacturer of the D6 dive computer which is pretty much the same computer as the Crest version. I can't imagine that D6 would just jump into a relationship with Crest and buy a product from them if D6 didn't do their homework and made sure that Crest is a credible company and manufacturer of dive computers under Crest's name or D6's name first before offering Crest's products to their own clients in the US. If Crest has a terrible product or bad customer service (retail or wholesale), D6 will be in a very tight spot and it would reflect on D6's reputation in a negative way.

3. aviator8

aviator8 Professional Photographer

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    @BurhanMuntasser I cant really comment on the questions about Crest as I do not have one and do not know if they added extra SF, CE cert, etc. differently than D6. I was just passing on the information in the thread in a summarized format.

BurhanMuntasser likes this.
  4. BurhanMuntasser

Sorry, I didn't mean that you had to answer my questions, I meant it for the folks here who may know more about it. I appreciate your help, thank you.

5. LandonL

LandonL ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    OK, here we go, hold on tight..... time to answer quite a lot in one post.

The answers to your questions are :
    here -> Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC
    here- > Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC
    here -> Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Also, read the next comment below this quote.

There is no difference in the firmware other than branding, we contributed to the final product. To be clear, there is no difference in the algorithm or conservatism between the Excursion and the CR-4.

It isn't a major undertaking, doesn't add much engineering time, and the liability from modifying algorithms is more myth than reality... see RGBM and it's constant iterations as well as the SP/Uwatec ZHL variations, along with pretty much every other manufacturer that makes custom tweaks to algorithm calculations. Many just don't tell you about it, or provide the details.

Yes, most manufacturers do. As stated previously we worked with Crest to develop the final algorithm settings and conservatism factors.

Thanks!

They do and they will. We however will have our own application to handle updates and syncing settings, etc. They may or may not diverge in the future, who knows?

Gradient Factors are a Safety Factor setting on top of pure Bühlmann... as stated previously, they are 35/75, 40/85, and 45/95. There is also a Safety Factor Line offset.

Our logo is also on the hardware, in the bezel and on the back.

Thanks again, we try hard to have exceptional customer service.

Yes, we worked with Crest to finalize the firmware. The differences are the startup logo, the future app, and the hardware branding. Will that always be the case? Maybe, or maybe not.

Interesting point here, as I haven't seen near as much questioning for other brands that utilize dive computers and transmitters designed and engineered by other companies. But yes, we did do our homework and we have been working with the development team stretching back over 2 years.

6. LandonL

LandonL ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Continuing here… as I needed to split my responses due to content length…

We clearly stated what our GFs were and posted an image of runtime comparisons earlier, including our safety line offset.

We do not care to open-source it, and we wouldn't.

Dive computer manufacturers do not open source their code, because that would be giving away their intellectual property for free that they spent quite a bit of time developing. While much of the hardware is standard, the value of the product largely lies in the code base. Anyone can open a case and determine hardware components and specs, binary code isn't nearly as easy.

Yes, when calculating the shipping, duty, taxes, time delay, etc, you could end up spending more than just buying from us in North America.

It is on the agenda of possible additions. No promises, but we are working on adding more in the future.

7. axluba

axluba Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    This reminds me, while I was talking to the crest representative at the show a guy and his wife came over and ask (with his Teric on the wrist) if the computer was doing A.I. Compass and manual G.F setting because he was looking for a computer for his wife. The girl politely said that she was very sorry but under 200€ those were big expectations.

I still understand the questions asked by @BurhanMuntasser and appreciate @LandonL effort to sum up the answers! the rest is a bit overboard for me! I still follow the thread for pictures and feedbacks

8. BurhanMuntasser

I checked on the price for the Crest version in Europe and it is about 170 Euros including 20% VAT. This means that with VAT it is $188 and without VAT it is around $157 which is more than a $100 less than the D6 version in Europe, substantial difference indeed.

9. waterone

waterone Angel Fish

Thank you for taking your time to answer some questions ...again!

This is curious to me as if there is no difference then i am surprised that updating firmware via Crest App would brick it.

I was going to put an order in for one today but i see that the date of stock was pushed back another day.

BTW the file for the manual download is still titled CR-4.

I also have another question a bit off topic.......but hey what the hell.

I am extremely interested in your 3mm wetsuit that you offer and many have stated how much higher of quality the neoprene is over regular 3mm suits. While i know warmth and comfort is extremely subjective, what is the coldest that you (or others that you know) have used the 3mm in and been comfortable?

Sometimes when the service is better, so is the taste.

I often shop at places where I know I am paying more because I like more than just the products that they sell.

lexvil likes this.
  10. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I think Landon said don't use the Crest app to flash firmware because it is different, then some comments from others that speculated it was a different
    algorithm (it isn't) and somebody said brick, wasn't Landon or I.

What it will do is turn the Deep 6 excursion into a Crest LOGO versus Deep 6, and if I get a unit with Crest back... I will have to reflash it and be annoyed as feck that I am. Heck, let me set a $25 fee right now plus shipping. :)

When our app is finished, which we are adding features over the Crest app, any firmware upgrades will be there to flash them without making a Crest Logo appear on the splash screen.