Those considering trying vintage gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slonda828

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey everyone,

There are quite a few of us out here in dive land that have good, serviceable vintage equipment, and would be happy to let you try it if you want to see why so many of us think it is amazing. I intern for a LDS and would be happy to show anyone how to use this gear should you be interested. Others I'm sure would oblige for their geographic area. I am located in Savannah, GA. PM me if interested.

A LDS recently ask another vintage diver and myself to put on a Vintage Dive Day at their pool so local divers could experience what vintage diving was....is?....like. It is scheduled for January. Like you, I am always happy to put someone in my gear for a spin.

I put a post on a San Antonio local diver forum several months ago asking about this very thing; I was interested in trying out double hose diving to see if it was something I wanted to get involved in. I got only one reply, which basically said "I think I know someone who might have a double hose.."

What you're doing is a great idea.

I always carry a spare Phoenix RAM when I go diving in case anyone is interested on trying it. I also carry a spare complete single hose regulator as a safe a dive regulator.

A couple of times when the safe a dive regulator was needed (coincidentally both cases was by owners of fairly new Apeks regulators), they both opted to try the Phoenix RAM and they both seem to enjoyed it.

I also loaned the Phoenix once to another friend and he ended up ordering one complete unit that was available on VDH before the weekend was over.

The use of a double hose is simple, but it is definitely different. I have seen people immediately liking it and wanting to use one all the time. I have also seen other that just don't get used to it. There are many reasons why someone may not get used to it, but IMO one of the most common reasons is just newer divers moving out of there comfort zone.

IMO, if you are going to introduce someone to a DH, you need to be patient and explain how to clear the mouthpiece (both by blowing and raising it just a bit) and how the regulator is going to perform. You need to tell them to take longer breaths, not short choppy breaths. And just have them breath for a while in shallow water. At first have them breathe in a vertical position where the regulator diaphragm is low, before they start swimming. And have an octopus handy in case they need it.

The learning process can be as much fun as any part of diving, but there can a bit of a process.

In a comfortable place (and when they are a bit more comfortable), have them play by taking of the tank and placing it in front of them. Then test the breathing performance as they raise and lower the level of the regulator. That is something that everyone should do every once in a while... it is fun.

Note: not to scare you, but in our society (at least here in the US) you do need to be careful about liability. Make certain you are allowing someone to borrow a piece of vintage equipment and that they understand that they are responsible for their own safety. You are not teaching about vintage equipment diving, just offering free advice.
I am not a layer, so I am not guarantee that this will help, it is just my opinion.

It is good to introduce people to other aspects of this sport but just realize, some will not like it, don't force them, especially newer divers, to easy to scare them but, newer divers are sometimes still moldable and open to new or in this case, old ways.

It is strange to think back, in 66 when I took SCUBA for the first time there were two concurrent courses being taught, easily 60 dive students or more. There were piles of gear which at that time included double hose regulators. We had to be proficient with both types. When I bought a reg that summer it was a Calypso single hose but shortly after I was given a Mistral double hose. My neighbor/dive buddy/older mentor also had a Calypso therefore that is what I bought so I could be like him. I was 12 or so and he was a Jr in HS. BUT, nonetheless, we learned on a double hose and used them both during the course. It is not like it is hard, just different, so, explain the differences and demonstrate them as Luis says in the shallow end laying on the bottom. Unless you are an instructor, do not push people out of their comfort zone, JMO. You guys are doing good to inroduce the vintage concept.:).

N

Our shop has a heated salt water pool. That is where I initially learned all the "New Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving" type skills to not nuke myself with a doublehose and no BC. I think it's a great way to learn. It's a lot like the confined water portion of open water training, except challenging :wink:

As part of the "Advanced" class I teach at school (12-18 year olds) I spend 3 pool classes getting the kids comfortable with a variety of double hose regs and horse-shoe BC's.

Back
Top Bottom