This years analysis and next years aspirations ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Accomplishments:
Overhead environment sidemount training with Edd Sorenson
Overhead environment Dive Propulsion Vehicle training with Edd Sorenson
Lots of nice Yucatan cave dives with Natalie Gibb
Some good training sessions with advanced students

Goals for next year:
More advanced work with students next year
Put my new sidemount and DPV training to good use
Sell some of my excess gear

2013: Did my usual 20 dives on the FL panhandle Jan.-March, including one charter--out of P'cola with Niuhi Diving. Excellent people, and good shell collecting. Usual 12 fairly crummy shore dives in summer in NY/CT/NJ. Here in Nova Scotia, the usual shore dives Spring and Fall. Divemastered a few more classes which all went quite well.

2014: Carbon copy, I hope. Jan. 1 arrive back in good old Destin, FL for the usual 3 months. Always nice to see the first palm tree again.

So what dive goals did you accomplish/failed to accomplish this year and what are you planning to do next year??
Epic expedition to the Atomic Bomb Wrecks at Bikini Atoll (Aircraft Carrier USS Saratoga, Battleship HIJMS Nagato etc), and four separate week long minimum trips to the Truk Lagoon wrecks in one year; first time Hawaii 3-island four-day dive tour to Lanai, Maui & Molokai. Successfully treated type one DCS right arm with In-Water-Recompression technique during last days of Bikini Expedition, and went on to Truk for another week of deep technical diving with no further recurrence of symptoms. Next year possibly looking into CCR training with a sidemount configuration, and refresher wreck/overhead training in Puerto Galera/Subic Bay Philippines at Techasia.
Any particular gear purchases? Any new destinations in radar or plan to visit old ones? Specialties?
Shearwater Petrel Computer to track tissue inert gas loading, especially after multiple deep air dives with mandatory deco per day over a week or more timeframe. Returning to Truk Lagoon for the 70th Anniversary of Operation Hailstone in Feb, and observing final collapse of some of the more popular wrecks (i.g. Rio de Janeiro Maru's funnel & engine skylight entrance amidships has sheared-off withing the past month); Returning to Palau for the 70th Anniversary of the Peleliu Battle in Sept; possible other return trips to the WWII Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes wreck off Batticaloa Sri Lanka, and Cruisers HMAS Perth & USS Houston wrecks in Sunda Strait Indonesia.

Spent ten days in the Philippines with photographers chasing little slugs around. It was my first warm water trip outside the US or Mexico. Next September I finally get to make the trip I've wanted to make for years. We're diving Vancouver Island for a week, then we'll try to spend a few days in Seattle to see what all this non-moving water is all about. I've been to Seattle eight times, all without dive gear. I plan to rectify that.

2013:
After way too many years out of diving, got back in, big time, much to the consternation of the wife!
Replace most of my old gear,
Finished EFR / O2 / Rescue, Nitrox, Deep, and Peak Performance
Earned PADI DM cert
Got to dive the abandoned Titan Silo in Royal City, WA
A ton of local Puget Sound diving
And made a bunch of new friends

2014: Tech? AI?

2013 was an outstanding year for me!

Started with my honeymoon and a few dives in Palau, went down to the Philippines for two weeks, completing 20+ dives & AN/DP (finally!), and also a weekend (sadly no diving) in Okinawa.

Picked up a few more regs, and my first set of aluminum doubles.

More than 70 logged dives, tons more friends and buddies, and a strong desire to learn more next year.

Accomplished:
- got two of my best friends certified (two more to go!) as presents
- dove on the Texas Tower 4 and got good survey data for our team's documentary (one of my bucket list dives!!)
- finished Rescue Diver
- finished the HSA / WWP classes so I can help take fellow vets diving next year
- got my HOG service certification... Not sure if I'll ever use it much, but nice to have for the knowledge

Fails:
- didn't get the rebreather I've been putting off for two years... Just don't feel ready yet
- didn't get trimix cert, and do not like deep air...
- one of these years I'm gonna take a dive vacation to some warm island... But not this one or next...

2013 Accomplished:
Back into diving after 5 years having not
Brought all my own gear - ended up changing to BP/W after 10 dives - but LDS took it back in exchange for a credit note for two more tanks :)

Started the year at 22 dives, ended up at 96 :(
Actually "learnt to Dive" Happy with challenging conditions and wild currents
Maldives with Mantas and reef sharks :)
Bust 2 disc in my back in sept so not diving since :(

Fails:
didn't hit my target of 100 dives or 100 dives in 1 year :( - See back injury above
Didn't see a whale shark

For 2014

Having had back operation will be in the water at the end of Jan :)
Get past the hundred dive mark in my log book, clock up 130 dives next year (to get my average to 100 dives/year)
Bali in June Daminyat Islands in Feb Live-aboard or Sulawasi sometime in the year
Finish Advance Deco course Cross from PADI to BSAC and get dive Leader cert
Get a Lynx Dive comp
Have a ball!!!

Reactions: Eff
2013 accomplishments:
Diving vacation in the blue water of the Mediterranean, a great change from our green waters.
Got to see three of the species on my bucket list: Barracuda, moray and grouper.
Winter diving experience, no more apprehension when preparing for a dive in sub-freezing temperatures.
Transitioned from jacket-type BCD to back inflate.
Improved my underwater photography skills.
Lowered my normal SAC rate from ~18 to <15 SLM
Got my my wife more comfortable in a small boat in coastal water (she didn't grow up at the coast and isn't really much of a boat person originally). Now I have a regular boat tender, yay!

2014 goals:
CMAS** course.
>75 logged dives (realistic), would like 100 (not realistic).
Improve my finning and buoyancy skills.
Learn the back kick.
Explore a bunch of diving sites now available since we got a boat.
Swim through a mature kelp forest.
Afford to buy a trilam "tech" suit.

And since I'm a long term planner, 2015 goal:
Get my youngest son OW certified

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom