This should be required reading for ANY diver thinking about more advanced diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doppler

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I get to hang out with some really cool people. Neal Pollock is one of them.

Neal is ex-pat Canadian scientist. He’s a research physiologist working in the States, and has a background in zoology, exercise physiology and environmental physiology. He is also a diver and part of his research relates to decompression stress.

His latest blog posting is a great read. Check it out!

https://www.shearwater.com/news/flexible-control-of-decompression-stress/

Last edited:
Whenever someone reminds us that decompression is just theory I wonder why no interested party with deep pockets (USN) has actually imaged the bubbles during decompression. Seems like it must be possible with a chamber and an MRI or similar machine.

Whenever someone reminds us that decompression is just theory I wonder why no interested party with deep pockets (USN) has actually imaged the bubbles during decompression. Seems like it must be possible with a chamber and an MRI or similar machine.

Dr. Pollock was showing just that during a recent chat... at least, bubbles in a diver's heart

Funny they call it "The Doppler Technique". Congrats, Doppler!

I suspect the U.S. Navy knows enough about the affects of decompression on the human body within the range of operational missions to feel reasonably comfortable with protocol safety.

I've seen comments from professionals that funding for deco studies has largely dried up due to the shift to ROVs in the oil fields and Navy. SEALs mostly do long shallow operations, the deep salvage and espionage missions were apparently the driving force on research.

Back
Top Bottom