This one just plain sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Email this story Printer friendly version

Accident on icy road claims two infant lives
Posted: Monday, Nov 15, 2004 - 11.59:26 pm PST
By R.J. COHN
Hagadone News Network

Mother escapes car, but children drown in Spring Creek

SANDPOINT -- An accident that claimed the lives of two Washington state infants Saturday was called "a nightmare out of hell" by an Idaho State Police trooper who later arrived on the scene.

Bethany S. Ashmoore, 28, of Fairfield, Wash., was treated and released from Bonner General Hospital after her 1998 Subaru Legacy failed to negotiate a slick corner on Spring Creek Road, about 1.7 miles above the Clark Fork Fish Hatchery, around 5 p.m.

Both her sons, an 8-month infant and a 2-year-old, who had been in child car seats when Ashmoore's vehicle overturned in Spring Creek, were pronounced dead at BGH.

Ashmoore's Subaru, which was traveling south, went off the left side of the road, slid down a small embankment and overturned into Spring Creek, according to ISP. The passenger compartment was submerged in three to four feet of water.

ISP Cpl. Brian Zimmerman said the corner on Spring Creek Road was covered with a thin layer of frost and was more like "hard-packed clay that was as smooth as cement."

"You don't see many dirt roads around like this anymore," he said.

Zimmerman said the road had not yet been sanded by the county.

"You wouldn't think that it would have been necessary at that time of the day," he added. "This was just a terrible tragedy."

Zimmerman speculated that Ashmoore, who managed to get out of the overturned car that was filling with water, struggled to unfasten the buckles of her children's car seats but was unable to open them.

"When your vehicle is upside down and it is quickly starting to be filled up with water, you're totally disoriented and you panic," he said. "This must have been a nightmare out of hell."

ISP is continuing its investigation.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
People just don't know how to slow down.

Plus we have another one missing in Lake Pend Oreille on the south end. We have his boat and that's it.

Nasty year

Gary D.

So sad. I feel for the mother of those kids. She must be devastated. I know I would be a basket case. My prayers sent.

That is awful. I think that kids always bother people more... if they ever stop bothering you, then you have been at your job too long! Hope that the year gets better instead of worse. My prayers will be with the mother today!

Gary:

Has the recovery been done? Are you doing it? Depending on your protocol, hook the vehicle and walk away. We have had these discussions about kids on this forum before. Don't even look! Good luck and be safe!

Dan

Boater Dan:
Gary:

Has the recovery been done? Are you doing it? Depending on your protocol, hook the vehicle and walk away. We have had these discussions about kids on this forum before. Don't even look! Good luck and be safe!

Dan
It's been done and I wish I had done it. I have my ways of coping and it has worked for a lot of years. I think I'm still sane. It was in the county to the north of us and I don't know who did it. I just hope they can deal with it.

The only time we hook with victims inside is if it is a strong chance it's a homocide or they are trapped so bad we can't get them out.

We have to look but just see what you need to see. Let the rest go away.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom