This morning, the unthinkable happened to my scoot....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
In a pretty frisky surf, with no viz, on the way back in from an aborted dive (also no viz...) - my beloved fixed-pitch Aluminum Prop came off of my Cuda in the surf zone.

I must have hundreds and hundreds of dives on that.... maybe more. I just serviced this scooter a few dives ago.
1f622.png

The surf was pretty rough, and I got the tow rope tangled in the prop on the way out (hasn't happened in eons....) so I unwound it... and things were great. Towed all the way out to the reef, dropped into a cloud... scooted for a bit, literally saw nothing and aborted the dive.

On the way back in, stopped outside the surf zone, removed and clipped off fins, shortened the tow rope, waited for my moment, punched it to get in between waves - and in slow motion, I watched it fall into the clouds of sand. I dropped to grab it... missed. Came back up, quickly put the fins back on, dropped again and after some fumbling around in the muck (and getting tossed around and rolled several times) I had to abandon the search.

I'm sad. SUPER SAD. Loved that thing, as it matched so well with my Hot Rod Deep Sea Supply Mega Batt....
1f641.png

So unless one of you kind people have one of these from a retired scooter you'd be willing to part with, seems my only option is to go back to the plastic stock prop... I haven't dived that for ages. Don't think I've ever dived it since I upgraded the battery in this back in, what, 2010? 2011?

So bummed. Not a good morning.

Gutted.

?temp_hash=6d690f0b7808386e5081f0d0e88af123.jpg

20191114_092141.jpg

I have aluminum blades, not fixed. Want me to ask Tobin if he has any stock?

I have aluminum blades, not fixed. Want me to ask Tobin if he has any stock?

You're very kind. Thanks.

I remember when I moved to the mega batt it dived so much better with the fixed pitch prop. I'm gonna slap on the stock plastic and see if its as bad as I remember in the higher gears.... pool time tomorrow. :)

- K

Wow. I now have the stock prop on my Zoom Zoom. It has been ages.

We'll see how she runs tomorrow AM. Excited to have her sea worthy again.

Now I have a scoot to comb the shoreline with so I can find the part that fell off the scoot while I was getting tossed on the shoreline.... :|

Grateful.

#neverpitchspareparts

?temp_hash=d4428a3d0501fbdc3a9a4246107a9d9a.jpg

76681723_10214853949051549_2796945611541184512_o.jpg

Sorry for you loss! I hate it when something I love goes south.

Right? At most of the SoCal beaches, I kinda knew where stuff would end up... I'm so new here in FL, I'm holding out very little hope I'll find this thing. We shall see. There is hope!!

I'll get in Friday AM (maybe even tomorrow) and burn some bubbles combing the shore around south of the pier at Datura access in LBTS.

Fingers and toes crossed. :)

Hope you find it. The solid props are really nice and fairly rare used.
Thanks buddy. This was an early prototype... my heart aches at its loss.

Just not enough Loc Tite... my bad. That won't happen again. :)

- K

Back
Top Bottom