This months training is now Kaput.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We get to the marine building at 1500 and get the PT out of the way. Then it was Ice Rescue classroom until 2030. Dinner was on the fly, head out to a drive through and get back to class.

After class we head for the YMCA pool in the Spokane Valley. We have it to ourselves until midnight which makes it nice.

Lane B has team 1 with 4 and I have team 2 with the other 4. They are diving dry, fully suited except for hoods to do their basic skills. Yes they had their dry gloves on as well.

Basic skills went very well so we worked on some kicks, buoyancy control, diver towing/pushing and get your mask out of the pile, buddy breathing, sharing air and what ever they felt they needed work on.

Then Lane B and I start the harassment within our teams. A mask here, a fin there, the disappearing weight belt trick, no mo air and some minor stuff.

The better they do the more Lane B and I get that Piranha attitude and attack. If they had something to screw with it got screwed with. They got air mailed, dumped into the bottom, tied up, entangled, partially stripped and what ever we could throw at them. About half of our stuff was done in very dim lighting. A couple had their dive lights so they got a blast in the face every so often to kill any night vision they got from using it.

The results were what we expected. They never hit the surface unless we sent them up. What ever problems we caused they took care of. If they were having a problem another team member pitched in to help. But you can guess what happened to the helper. :D

Towards the end we let them just play and have fun without the two of us attacking.

We secured just a bit after midnight and then it was a quick dry out because we were back at the lake at 0900 for Ice Rescue recerts.

After all these years I still can’t believe they actually pay us to do this. How often do you get to try and drown the Patrol Lt. and he volunteered to do be a victim? He was. :D

Today was a media frenzy for most of the training. We suited up one of the reporters and used her as a victim for a couple of different rescue styles. I think she had fun.

While we were still on the ice we get a call of a dog through the ice. It’s just a few miles away and on the same lake. A couple of the team members respond and find out the humanoid, lacking any gray matter, walked out onto the ice that wouldn’t support the dog and got it prior to our guys arriving. Wouldn’t you think that if it won’t support fido why should it support people? Job security.

After surface training I was the safety diver for one of the FNG’s who made his first ice dive. Short and simple as he retrieved some boot chains that didn’t stay on some ones feet.

And lunch during day two was the traditional Mexican food.

Back at Marine we finished up the paperwork, cleaned up the gear, debriefed and secured.

I gave up two patrol shifts to go through this torture. That’s OK, somebody has to do it so I’ll save you from the suffering. :D :D

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom