This isn't a great weekend to dive the east coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not a great weekend to be out on the east coast. I've dived through the sludge when they've drained water from the lake before. At that time, there was a layer about 15 feet deep of sludgy mess with low visibility and then you were into regular ocean water. You have to go back through the nasty on your way up so you come out stinking and gross. It's divable, but not exactly the spectacular water you'll usually get diving in this part of the world.

Army corps resumes flushing water from Lake Okeechobee

MIAMI – Goopy green water flowed Friday from both sides of Lake Okeechobee, carrying toxic algae toward Florida's coasts.

Col. Jason Kirk of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says the pulsing water flows will simulate rainfall. By varying the flows, they hope to reduce environmental problems.

Kirk says they need to flush the lake to reduce flood risks as water levels rise. Its aging dike was built after flooding unleashed by two catastrophic hurricanes killed thousands of people in the 1920s.

Coastal communities say previous discharges spread toxic algae, threatening tourism and health. Both Republican and Democratic political candidates are making the discharges a campaign issue.

The Trump administration has approved a new reservoir to store more water south of the lake, but it awaits passage in Congress.

While the central east coast will be affected southeast coast will be fine!! I’ve never seen sludge off broward county beaches.

But this is a huge problem that they need to fix and sorted out. I mean the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan was approved in 2000 and started with a 20 year plan that keeps getting pushed back further and further. I believe it is planned to finish on 2035? now.

While the central east coast will be affected southeast coast will be fine!! I’ve never seen sludge off broward county beaches.

But this is a huge problem that they need to fix and sorted out. I mean the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan was approved in 2000 and started with a 20 year plan that keeps getting pushed back further and further. I believe it is planned to finish on 2035? now.
Yeah, I thought it was odd that the article mentioned Miami. When I encountered the Okeechobee Sludge(™) I was diving off of Palm beach. Probably just a reporter fail. I'm surprised the author didn't mention oxygen tanks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom