This is why we say stay off of the scooters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why does common sense go out the window for so many people just as soon as the vacation starts ?

That's a great observation. I ride a motorcycle here and considered riding a scooter in Bonaire. The roads really weren't that bad, but I agree, one pothole or a handful of gravel is all it takes. And not just scooters. On the Bonaire trip the boat was pre-loaded with Nitrox. I asked for the analyzer and they said there was no analyzer, so I dove air. I wouldn't dive Nitrox I couldn't analyze here, why would I do it just because I'm on vacation???

That's a great observation. I ride a motorcycle here and considered riding a scooter in Bonaire. The roads really weren't that bad, but I agree, one pothole or a handful of gravel is all it takes. And not just scooters. On the Bonaire trip the boat was pre-loaded with Nitrox. I asked for the analyzer and they said there was no analyzer, so I dove air. I wouldn't dive Nitrox I couldn't analyze here, why would I do it just because I'm on vacation???

If you didn't analyze the tank, how do you know you dove air?

It did go to the scooter story but links fail which is why I quoted it as allowed under Fair-Use exceptions to international copyright laws for safety discussions. Tried to fix it but now it's a url that doesn't link. Try this: Google Translate
I followed the link because those computer translations are so dreadful that I wanted to read the original article. The new link goes to the same diving article. The give-away (for anyone that reads Spanish) is "buceaba" (past tense of to dive) in the link itself.

As for motorcycles and scooters, wild horses couldn't get me on one, at home or abroad.

Hey guys don't jaywalk in Cozumel ok you might die
I think your lack of familiarity with the situation is leading you to make sarcastic and really unhelpful comments.

Cozumel is filled with tourists who need to get around. There are many taxis. There are rental cares of quite varying quality. And there are scooters. The scooters are quite attractive because they are cheap, and they are consequently quite popular--they are all over the place. I have been to many dive sites all over the world, and I have never seen another site that is like it in that regard. I believe it is quite appropriate for people to post warnings about it in a forum like this. Such warnings would not make nearly as much sense in any other place I have ever dived.

I followed the link because those computer translations are so dreadful that I wanted to read the original article. The new link goes to the same diving article. The give-away (for anyone that reads Spanish) is "buceaba" (past tense of to dive) in the link itself.
All I can do is copy & paste the url, but look around that page and see if you don't see the bike story.
Gosh... though, Don: I just feel like all we talk about on Cozumel threads is death or the potential for death. Man, Cozumel is so much fun and people dying there are the exception. If you exercise some common sense you will come back unscathed... I promise. Heck, I'm living proof. Let's try to have some more positive threads here... this isn't the Coz Obituary forum, is it? :)
Yeah, it sucks to die on vacation, but some of those can be prevented - so let's keep reminding each other to dive & vacation safely. :eyebrow:

I think your lack of familiarity with the situation is leading you to make sarcastic and really unhelpful comments

It's true I've never been to Cozumel - but it doesn't sound very different from a lot of parts of Asia that I have been to, in regards to road safety. You can see scooter accident victims all over the place, both tourist and locals. The topic doesn't seem diving related or Cozumel specific to me, in fact it seems like - as someone alluded - basic common sense that if you ride poorly maintained scooters on crappy roads in heavy traffic without adequate protection, you run the risk of injury or worse. Just like jay walking or smoking

I also found it somewhat ironic that the US has been the leader in anti-helmet and anti-seatbelt activism

Anyway, carry on

Or maybe he's just a jerk

Takes one...

I've never been to Cozumel; are these people who are crashing the scooters inexperienced first timers, getting run over, equipment failures, or all of the above? Several motorcycle wrecks and a couple fatalities here the past 2 weeks. Well maintained bikes, quality helmets and experienced riders. It happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom