This is Why I Need a Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xyrandomyx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A picture that appeared in Blue Flash's newsletter from a 'new' reef in the Duiker Point area near Hout Bay in Cape Town:

http://is.ss20.mailgm.com//za_members/56658/ftp/AG MMCaveWall FW.jpg

The visibility was apparently around 15 metres, but I'm guessing the water temperature was 10C at best at depth. I need to get a move on with my buy-a-drysuit project, I'm missing out on all this cold water diving.

this is why I need my drysuit :)

icedive.jpg

Once you go dry...you won't want to get back into a wetsuit. So much more comfortable when you get out and your not freezing cold. Pull your suit off and jump right in teh car and down the road you go.

Once you go dry...you won't want to get back into a wetsuit. So much more comfortable when you get out and your not freezing cold. Pull your suit off and jump right in teh car and down the road you go.

Actually most of the time I just wear my drysuit to the dive site and then drive home in it.

this is why I need my drysuit :)

Point taken. You need a drysuit. I just really want a drysuit. We have two relatively distinct coastlines on either side of the Cape Peninsula. It's still possible to dive wet on the warmer side: water temperatures are very rarely less than 55F/ 13C on shallower dives, no less than 50F/ 10C on deeper dives. In the middle of summer, they occasionally reach as 'high' (tropical divers will still be shaking their heads) as 70F/ 21C. But in summer, conditions are better on the colder side of the Peninsula: better visibility and less swell. So my summer diving in a wetsuit is limited to sheltered shore dive sites in rather green water.

---------- Post added November 8th, 2013 at 12:39 AM ----------

I've been threatening to get drysuit for some time. Honestly, I'm a little overwhelmed by all the options (given the cost, I'm quite keen to get the right one, not jump into it). And for summer diving, a drysuit here is definitely not good out of the water: bottom temperature can be 45F/ 7C, but the air temperature is often as high as 90F/ 32C.

given the cost, I'm quite keen to get the right one, not jump into it

There is a huge difference between the various types of suits. It's worth the effort to find a way to rent or borrow several so you can compare them. Otherwise, your research can lead you to a perfectly reasonable suit that you end up not liking even though it is a good choice on paper.

For example, I started with a 4mm crushed neoprene suit, as it seemed like a perfectly reasonable choice for my area. Turns out that while I liked the insulative properties, I really hated how heavy it was.

Ooh pretty! Wife wants a Drysuit for christmas,will have to see what I can get haha

I have been diving a drysuit for quite a few years in Cape Town now, will certainly not go back to a wetsuit - I don't even own one now.
From when I first got into the water with on e on I just knew it was the right thing to do, even though it obviously felt different to what I was used to.
No matter which side you dive, given our local temperatures a drysuit is what everyone should be diving.

Mine is a bit tired now, but I'm off to the UK in January so I will see if I can pick up something 2nd hand.

We routinely dive in dry suits in the summertime here in Seattle, since water temperatures never get over about 11C. But air temperatures will often be in the 80's or even 90's F (too lazy to do that conversion). You just learn to get EVERYTHING ready before you suit up, and if there is any delay, you go pop in the water for a bit to cool down. Dunking an unhooded head in the water will cool ANYBODY off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom