This could be the start of something great.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds a lot like "Buddy caller" and the many others ive previously seen, the only thing special about this one is that it doubles as a dive computer.

It also means who ever you are diving with will also need to have one other wise its useless...

For recreational diving i dont find this useful... just a way to annoy your buddy or dive master... i also question the range and reliability of the sensor.

For serious dives they have better equipment like FFM's and wont really need this "gadget" in my opinion but i could be wrong.

When looking at any kick starter it's always good to consider if it has a realistic chance of success. The amount they are trying to raise is about ~$50k CAD. There's simply no way to take a product from prototype into production for that amount of money. They will burn through that on tooling for plastics not to mention all the issues they will find scaling up production , they've basically said we built a prototype now we can scale production and that's not realistic in anyway.

Apparently I was unclear with why I posted this, had a few Scotches LOL. I was referring to the technology, it being integrated into a dive computer, and the tools this could give us in the future.
Not this one product or the feasibility of their kickstarter.
When the Edison introduced the telephone I'm sure there were a lot of people that said "who ever you are trying to talk to will also need to have one other wise its useless" ....... now we carry little hand held computers with access to the world.
I can see this developing into something fairly common on DCs. Providing features of things like an arrow that shows where your buddy is even how far, great for limited vis diving. Maybe an automatic signal sent to your buddy if you are low on air, just in case someone gets distracted. A panic button in combination with the locator could save a life, or at least prevent a bad case of DCS. Picture this, you have a malfunction that causes an out of air situation, hit the panic button, you and your buddy bee line for each other, you can do this because you know where each is at even in bad vis, shoot even in good via this would cut time to buddy air in half. Seem better than popping up.

Just a few ideas that could be great for all divers every where.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom