Thinking Of Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all,

My wife and I were just certified in May and have now been diving almost weekly. Our shop wants to get us out on a Lake Michigan wreck but I keep saying next year. I am not sure why I am so hesitant. There is one more opportunity this year to dive the Willie and The Dredge via the alma in 3 weeks through our lds

Here is my apprehension. Lake Michigan is well Lake Michigan. We have only been diving inland lakes and quarry’s. I grew up swimming and fishing Michigan but diving it stresses me out.

The two wrecks are not that deep, but there is part of my that wants to wait until I am on doubles or at the least have a pony bottle. As I write this, it really doesn’t make sense seeing we dive lakes and quarry’s without either of those two things. There is also part of me that wants to wait until we are trained and buy a dry suit but that doesn’t make any sense either since our deep dive at Wazee Lake was 39 degrees at 80’ with many other dives in the high 40s low 50s. Our wetsuits have kept us warm enough.

In the end I think I am just psyching myself out as I did up too our deep dive for AOW. In the end that dive was a lot of fun.

All of that being said, when did you all start diving Great Lakes wrecks. Were you nervous the first time. Any tips? Anything We should keep in mind?

Come south to Hammond and the shallower wrecks.

I had 45 dives when I did my first wreck. David Dows, 45ft deep, in Lake Michigan. Second on the same charter was the Material Service Barge, about 35-40ft deep. Just looked it up in my logbook.

I would leave the Willie and the Dredge alone for now. Willie can go down to 90ft in the "canyon" formed by the wreck sinking deeper into the soft lake bottom. I've not done the Dredge.

I'll be honest - the ladder on the Alma sucks donkey balls. Captain Bob is great, but I'll pretty much only dive the Milwaukee wrecks off Jitka's boat, Molly V, now. Much better ladder. MUCH better. Plus Deco the Wonder Dog is very cute and really adds to the experience. :)

Waiting to do wrecks in doubles is overkill. I was carrying my 30cft pony on my first wreck dives.

You need some experience on shallower wrecks. The Milwaukee wrecks are deeper. Hammond is maybe 3 hours from Milwaukee. You want the $120 wrecks, as those are the shallow ones. The Louisville at 60ft is my favorite.

Next year, take the SDI Wreck specialty. The third dive is limited penetration. Should really help with your comfort level. Get yourself and wife your own ponies over the winter. Get in the pool with them, then you'll be ready when next season comes. If you have any thought of going tech, get AL40 ponies, you can use them for deco bottles later on, plus the resale value is better than AL30.

I was so nervous about the boat diving, that first charter was with instructors. Just fun dives. That really helped. Now I'm so wreck crazy that I'll go on the boat without having a buddy. I do draw the line at 4-5ft waves. Boat went out yesterday, but I said "nope" when I saw the conditions.

Let me know when you want to dive down here and I'll get on the same charter if there's room and I don't have other plans.

It's all just diving although there is no such thing as just diving

Dive as though you are in ten metres, a comfortable depth of your choosing

Oh, and temps. Water is a little warmer down south. A little. Plenty of people diving wet.

Wreck diving - the more you do, the more you want to do.

With that said, it's all up to you. Don't dive outside your comfort zone. Find a buddy or instructor more experienced than you to take you on your first new dive type and tell them of your concerns so they can comfort your mind and keep an eye on you...but in the end only dive what you are comfortable diving. No one should be pressuring you to do a dive you aren't ready for.

I would leave the Willie and the Dredge alone for now. Willie can go down to 90ft in the "canyon" formed by the wreck sinking deeper into the soft lake bottom. I've not done the Dredge.

Thanks Marie! Our shop calls these the beginners wrecks. Dredge is 35-70 feet. Will have to check out the wrecks down at Hammond.

Get yourself and wife your own ponies over the winter.

This is what I was looking for. I had been leaning towards this route but when my wife hears ponies she knows it is more equipment to buy.

You have every right to be concerned. Great Lakes wreck diving is addictive and once you start you will probably not be able to stop.

That is my fear.

No one should be pressuring you to do a dive you aren't ready for.

The lds is not pressuring us. They know we want to dive wrecks. They are just trying to get us in the water. My personality makes the lead up to all dives as being uncomfortable, even the local dive sites we go to each week. I think this is a good thing since it really pushes me to plan the dive and dive the plan. Once I am in the water I feel much more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom