Thinking of servicing my own regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have 3 regulators now:

1) Aqualung Titan LX (primary)
2) US Divers (Pony)
3) Sherwood Blizzard Magnum (planned backup)

At $30-$40/stage for labor I am thinking of servicing my own regulators. I have found out that I have been more displeased when leaving it to the "professionals", when it comes to many other things. Also it would be better if I knew how to fix something out in the field. I have found some manuals for the Sherwood, I just picked it up for $30 on craigslist. I would like to start with that one as I had my primary regulator serviced this year already for $90 and my pony last year. I also hear it might be hard/impossible to find Aqualung/US Divers service parts as they only sell to dealers. I have found many sources of Sherwood service parts, though I also hear I should replace the piston in the 1st stage w/ a newer type that is harder to find. Is this a good idea, any suggestions to start. Also do you really need all those proprietary tools?

-Hostage

I have found out that I have been more displeased when leaving it to the "professionals", when it comes to many other things.
-Hostage

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "displeased"? Just curious.

You can find AL/USD parts from Vintage Double Hose and Northeast Scuba supply as well as eBay. I know NESS also sells a generic kit for Sherwood. If the Sherwood is an older model then you may need a piston. The older models have a bleed valve on the piston that is prone to clogging if the reg is serviced improperly or gets flooded, on new models it was moved to the body and is replaceable.

After diving for 6 years, I concluded that I have about 30% chance of vomiting on a dive either underwater or on the surface, partially due to dry mouth, partially due to my mouth reflexes at times.

I suspected it was time my new Scubapro MK25 needed cleaning. My coach is a certified technician, so he taught me how to open the regulator and how to clean it. It is so simple that I am glad I can clean my own gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom